Source: Red Sox approach toward trade deadline unchanged by Clay Buchholz diagnosis
|07.22.13 at 5:50 pm ET|
It was announced by Red Sox manager John Farrell prior to the Sox’ game against Tampa Bay Monday that Dr. Andrews’ concurred with the team’s view that Buchholz’ injury was, indeed, inflammation.
It is believed the team’s unchanged approach toward the deadline stemmed its confidence that the results from the pitcher’s visit to Pensacola, Fla. to Dr. Andrews’ offices would be in line with what the team’s medical staff had determined.
Following the announcement regarding Buchholz’ status, reports surfaced that one of the premier starting pitchers on the market, Cubs starter Matt Garza, was being sent to the Texas Rangers. A source told WEEI.com last Thursday that Red Sox’ interest in Garza was limited all along due to their unwillingness to part with a top tier prospects due to what would have been perceived as a two-month rental.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven