Source: Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox agree to 7-year contract extension
|07.23.13 at 1:45 pm ET|
According to a baseball source, the Red Sox and second baseman Dustin Pedroia have agreed to a seven-year extension worth approximately $100 million that will begin following the final guaranteed year of his current deal. Pedroia is currently in the midst of six-year, $40.5 million deal that carries a team option for 2015.
The deal, according to the source, carries a full no-trade clause. Pedroia, who turns 30 Aug. 17, is hitting .308 with an .808 OPS in an American League-best 100 games played this season.
Red Sox principal owner John Henry, in an interview last week on the Mut & Merloni show, said that while the team has renewed its commitment to disciplined contract signings — with an emphasis on signing players to fewer years — it remained open to the idea of making exceptions. He identified Pedroia specifically as a player whom the team might try to sign for a long-term deal.
“You have to look at every situation, every player differently. Dustin Pedroia, for instance, is a completely different player — Dustin would be completely different than going out into the free agent market and signing someone,” said Henry.
At the time, Henry said that because Pedroia still had two full seasons (his guaranteed year in 2014 as well as a team option for 2015) of club control, there was no “urgency” to re-signing Pedroia, but added that he would like to extend the second baseman “in a perfect world.”
Now, it appears that he and the Red Sox have done just that.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated