Source: Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox agree to 7-year contract extension
|07.23.13 at 1:45 pm ET|
According to a baseball source, the Red Sox and second baseman Dustin Pedroia have agreed to a seven-year extension worth approximately $100 million that will begin following the final guaranteed year of his current deal. Pedroia is currently in the midst of six-year, $40.5 million deal that carries a team option for 2015.
The deal, according to the source, carries a full no-trade clause. Pedroia, who turns 30 Aug. 17, is hitting .308 with an .808 OPS in an American League-best 100 games played this season.
Red Sox principal owner John Henry, in an interview last week on the Mut & Merloni show, said that while the team has renewed its commitment to disciplined contract signings — with an emphasis on signing players to fewer years — it remained open to the idea of making exceptions. He identified Pedroia specifically as a player whom the team might try to sign for a long-term deal.
“You have to look at every situation, every player differently. Dustin Pedroia, for instance, is a completely different player — Dustin would be completely different than going out into the free agent market and signing someone,” said Henry.
At the time, Henry said that because Pedroia still had two full seasons (his guaranteed year in 2014 as well as a team option for 2015) of club control, there was no “urgency” to re-signing Pedroia, but added that he would like to extend the second baseman “in a perfect world.”
Now, it appears that he and the Red Sox have done just that.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez continues to swing hot bat
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello