Source: Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox agree to 7-year contract extension
|07.23.13 at 1:45 pm ET|
According to a baseball source, the Red Sox and second baseman Dustin Pedroia have agreed to a seven-year extension worth approximately $100 million that will begin following the final guaranteed year of his current deal. Pedroia is currently in the midst of six-year, $40.5 million deal that carries a team option for 2015.
The deal, according to the source, carries a full no-trade clause. Pedroia, who turns 30 Aug. 17, is hitting .308 with an .808 OPS in an American League-best 100 games played this season.
Red Sox principal owner John Henry, in an interview last week on the Mut & Merloni show, said that while the team has renewed its commitment to disciplined contract signings — with an emphasis on signing players to fewer years — it remained open to the idea of making exceptions. He identified Pedroia specifically as a player whom the team might try to sign for a long-term deal.
“You have to look at every situation, every player differently. Dustin Pedroia, for instance, is a completely different player — Dustin would be completely different than going out into the free agent market and signing someone,” said Henry.
At the time, Henry said that because Pedroia still had two full seasons (his guaranteed year in 2014 as well as a team option for 2015) of club control, there was no “urgency” to re-signing Pedroia, but added that he would like to extend the second baseman “in a perfect world.”
Now, it appears that he and the Red Sox have done just that.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero powers PawSox past IronPigs
- April Players of the Month: Andrew Benintendi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs