Dustin Pedroia contract terms
|07.24.13 at 3:33 pm ET|
Here’s the breakdown of Dustin Pedroia‘s eight-year, $110 million deal (which replaces both the final year and option year of his current contract) to remain with the Red Sox through 2021, when he will be 38 years old:
Signing Bonus- $1m
2014 – $12.5m
2015 – $12.5m
2016 – $13m
2017 – $15m
2018 – $16m
2019 – $15m
2020 – $13m
2021 – $12m
Total $110m over 8 years. Some of the above salary is deferred.
Trade protection (not a full no trade).
For the purposes of luxury tax calculations, Major League Baseball values the deal at $13.2 million — behind Ian Kinsler ($15 million per year for five years) as the highest-paid second baseman ever. Pedroia, however, described passing on the opportunity to set the market for second baseman as “a no-brainer.”
“I’m not here to set markets,” he said. “I’m here to win more games than the other second basemen.”
The structure of the deal means that Pedroia will cost the team less at a stage of his career (and at ages) when he is likely to be in a state of some decline, a structure that was agreed upon by the two sides in hopes of ensuring that Pedroia will be a sound investment (and never an albatross) through the life of the contract.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Reports: Red Sox receive 1-year IFA ban, 5 players made free agents
- Scouting Scratch: Aaron Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Monge carries Salem, Butler lifts Pawtucket
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game