Dustin Pedroia contract terms
|07.24.13 at 3:33 pm ET|
Here’s the breakdown of Dustin Pedroia‘s eight-year, $110 million deal (which replaces both the final year and option year of his current contract) to remain with the Red Sox through 2021, when he will be 38 years old:
Signing Bonus- $1m
2014 – $12.5m
2015 – $12.5m
2016 – $13m
2017 – $15m
2018 – $16m
2019 – $15m
2020 – $13m
2021 – $12m
Total $110m over 8 years. Some of the above salary is deferred.
Trade protection (not a full no trade).
For the purposes of luxury tax calculations, Major League Baseball values the deal at $13.2 million — behind Ian Kinsler ($15 million per year for five years) as the highest-paid second baseman ever. Pedroia, however, described passing on the opportunity to set the market for second baseman as “a no-brainer.”
“I’m not here to set markets,” he said. “I’m here to win more games than the other second basemen.”
The structure of the deal means that Pedroia will cost the team less at a stage of his career (and at ages) when he is likely to be in a state of some decline, a structure that was agreed upon by the two sides in hopes of ensuring that Pedroia will be a sound investment (and never an albatross) through the life of the contract.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins