Joe Maddon: Tension from June 10 plunking is ‘history’
|07.25.13 at 6:02 pm ET|
John Lackey will face the Rays for the first time since his plunking of Matt Joyce caused benches to clear at Tropicana field on June 10. The Rays, including manager Joe Maddon, a friend of Lackey’s, were extremely critical of the Sox pitcher following the incident. Joyce even cited Lackey’s intent to hit him as “bush league.”
A lot of time has passed since then, and Maddon insisted Thursday that the whole ordeal is water under the bridge.
“No man, that’s history. Very emotional at the moment. John [Lackey] is a good friend, he’s pitching well and I’m happy for him,” Maddon said. “Just would like to beat him tonight.”
First place is also on the line in Thursday’s series finale. While it is only July, Maddon didn’t downplay the importance of the game. When asked of the possibility of heading into the weekend in first place Maddon replied,
“It would be nice. It would be very nice to leave town that way.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins