Red Sox lineup: Jonny Gomes remains in left field
|07.25.13 at 3:39 pm ET|
The battle for first place continues Thursday night when the Red Sox and Rays will play the final game of their four-game set. The Rays enter Thursday’s game a half-game behind the Sox in the standings.
Jonny Gomes remains in the lineup against Rays right-hander Jeremy Hellickson (9-3, 4.62), while Daniel Nava (1-for-10 with a walk and three strikeouts against Hellickson) will once again sit. Gomes (3-for-7 with a homer against Hellickson) has played in each of the Sox’ last six games, starting five of them. During that span he has hit .277 (5-for-18) including two home runs and four runs batted in.
John Lackey (7-7, 2.95) will take the ball for the Red Sox. Last time Lackey faced the Rays, the benches emptied when the Rays’ Matt Joyce took exception to being hit by Lackey pitch. Joyce was quoted after the game on June 10 saying, “Honestly, I felt like it was a pretty bush league move.” Lackey and the Sox denied any intent.
Hellickson has won six out of his last seven starts and is now 7-1 in his last 10 outings. During that stretch he has held opposing hitters to a .266 batting average, while striking out 50 and walking just 10.
For complete Red Sox team coverage, click here.
And for complete matchup information for Thursday’s game, click here.
RED SOX LINEUP
David Ortiz DH
Mike Napoli 1B
Jonny Gomes LF
Stephen Drew SS
John Lackey P
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Write-Up: Brandon Workman
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop two in Championship Series
- August Players of the Month: Manuel Margot and Brian Johnson
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox win league championship
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal