Red Sox-Rays rained out, make-up set for Monday at Fenway
|07.25.13 at 7:39 pm ET|
The lights came on at Fenway Park at 6 p.m., about one hour before first pitch the tarp remains on the field as steady showers, which began around 4 p.m., continued in the immediate area of Fenway Park.
With the window of dry weather too small in between heavy pockets of rain on the radar, the decision was made by the umpires and Major League Baseball to postpone until Monday, a mutual day off for both clubs. The Rays are in New York to take on the Yankees this weekend while the Red Sox will be in Baltimore before returning home for a homestand that originally set to begin on Tuesday against Seattle.
The decision to postpone was taken out of the hands of the Red Sox and placed in the authority of the umpires and Major League Baseball since Thursday marked the final trip in Boston this season for Tampa Bay.
John Lackey was scheduled to oppose Jeremy Hellickson in the series wrap-up. The Rays won two of the first three to close Boston’s lead in the division to a half-game before Thursday’s washout.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Spring training games begin
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals