Red Sox-Rays rained out, make-up set for Monday at Fenway
|07.25.13 at 7:39 pm ET|
The lights came on at Fenway Park at 6 p.m., about one hour before first pitch the tarp remains on the field as steady showers, which began around 4 p.m., continued in the immediate area of Fenway Park.
With the window of dry weather too small in between heavy pockets of rain on the radar, the decision was made by the umpires and Major League Baseball to postpone until Monday, a mutual day off for both clubs. The Rays are in New York to take on the Yankees this weekend while the Red Sox will be in Baltimore before returning home for a homestand that originally set to begin on Tuesday against Seattle.
The decision to postpone was taken out of the hands of the Red Sox and placed in the authority of the umpires and Major League Baseball since Thursday marked the final trip in Boston this season for Tampa Bay.
John Lackey was scheduled to oppose Jeremy Hellickson in the series wrap-up. The Rays won two of the first three to close Boston’s lead in the division to a half-game before Thursday’s washout.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shuts down Dash offense, Callahan has wild outing
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest
- Weekly Notes: Moncada set to debut, Brian Johnson keeps producing
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech and Haley solid, Tejeda swinging a hot bat
- Yoan Moncada to debut with Greenville on Monday