Red Sox-Rays rained out, make-up set for Monday at Fenway
|07.25.13 at 7:39 pm ET|
The lights came on at Fenway Park at 6 p.m., about one hour before first pitch the tarp remains on the field as steady showers, which began around 4 p.m., continued in the immediate area of Fenway Park.
With the window of dry weather too small in between heavy pockets of rain on the radar, the decision was made by the umpires and Major League Baseball to postpone until Monday, a mutual day off for both clubs. The Rays are in New York to take on the Yankees this weekend while the Red Sox will be in Baltimore before returning home for a homestand that originally set to begin on Tuesday against Seattle.
The decision to postpone was taken out of the hands of the Red Sox and placed in the authority of the umpires and Major League Baseball since Thursday marked the final trip in Boston this season for Tampa Bay.
John Lackey was scheduled to oppose Jeremy Hellickson in the series wrap-up. The Rays won two of the first three to close Boston’s lead in the division to a half-game before Thursday’s washout.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance
- Weekly Notes: Moncada promoted, Kopech debuts, and Salem claims Southern Division first-half title
- Cup of Coffee: Affiliates sweep, Moncada homers before promotion
- Moncada, Beeks, Taylor promoted to Portland