Red Sox rework rotation following postponement of finale with Rays
|07.25.13 at 8:47 pm ET|
The rain started to come down around 4 p.m. Thursday afternoon, and the participating parties at Fenway Park didn’t feel like sticking around waiting for it to stop. As a result, the Red Sox and Rays will make up the game ‘ Tampa Bay’s last in Boston during the 2013 regular season ‘ Monday at 6:10 p.m.
The Red Sox are using the postponement as an opportunity to re-work their rotation, which will be as follows for the next five games:
Friday – John Lackey at Orioles
Saturday – Ryan Dempster at Orioles
Sunday – Jon Lester at Orioles
Monday – Felix Doubront vs. Rays
Tuesday – Brandon Workman vs. Mariners
The decision to change the order was in part to “[keep] four of the five guys on their normal turn despite John and Ryan getting an extra day,” manager John Farrell said. “It just felt like with Lester and Doubront in those slots, it felt like it was the way to go.”
Other Red Sox notes:
— With Workman pushed back to Tuesday, the rookie right-hander will be available out of the bullpen Friday and Saturday against the Orioles, according to Farrell.
— Having lost two out of three to the Rays this week, the Red Sox dropped their first home series in the last 10. That streak dated back to the May 10-12 matchups with the Blue Jays.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance