Red Sox rework rotation following postponement of finale with Rays
|07.25.13 at 8:47 pm ET|
The rain started to come down around 4 p.m. Thursday afternoon, and the participating parties at Fenway Park didn’t feel like sticking around waiting for it to stop. As a result, the Red Sox and Rays will make up the game ‘ Tampa Bay’s last in Boston during the 2013 regular season ‘ Monday at 6:10 p.m.
The Red Sox are using the postponement as an opportunity to re-work their rotation, which will be as follows for the next five games:
Friday – John Lackey at Orioles
Saturday – Ryan Dempster at Orioles
Sunday – Jon Lester at Orioles
Monday – Felix Doubront vs. Rays
Tuesday – Brandon Workman vs. Mariners
The decision to change the order was in part to “[keep] four of the five guys on their normal turn despite John and Ryan getting an extra day,” manager John Farrell said. “It just felt like with Lester and Doubront in those slots, it felt like it was the way to go.”
Other Red Sox notes:
— With Workman pushed back to Tuesday, the rookie right-hander will be available out of the bullpen Friday and Saturday against the Orioles, according to Farrell.
— Having lost two out of three to the Rays this week, the Red Sox dropped their first home series in the last 10. That streak dated back to the May 10-12 matchups with the Blue Jays.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Dayan Diaz and Edwin Escobar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run