Red Sox rework rotation following postponement of finale with Rays
|07.25.13 at 8:47 pm ET|
The rain started to come down around 4 p.m. Thursday afternoon, and the participating parties at Fenway Park didn’t feel like sticking around waiting for it to stop. As a result, the Red Sox and Rays will make up the game ‘ Tampa Bay’s last in Boston during the 2013 regular season ‘ Monday at 6:10 p.m.
The Red Sox are using the postponement as an opportunity to re-work their rotation, which will be as follows for the next five games:
Friday – John Lackey at Orioles
Saturday – Ryan Dempster at Orioles
Sunday – Jon Lester at Orioles
Monday – Felix Doubront vs. Rays
Tuesday – Brandon Workman vs. Mariners
The decision to change the order was in part to “[keep] four of the five guys on their normal turn despite John and Ryan getting an extra day,” manager John Farrell said. “It just felt like with Lester and Doubront in those slots, it felt like it was the way to go.”
Other Red Sox notes:
— With Workman pushed back to Tuesday, the rookie right-hander will be available out of the bullpen Friday and Saturday against the Orioles, according to Farrell.
— Having lost two out of three to the Rays this week, the Red Sox dropped their first home series in the last 10. That streak dated back to the May 10-12 matchups with the Blue Jays.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo
- 2015 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule take shape
- Red Sox announce trio of front office moves