Red Sox rework rotation following postponement of finale with Rays
|07.25.13 at 8:47 pm ET|
The rain started to come down around 4 p.m. Thursday afternoon, and the participating parties at Fenway Park didn’t feel like sticking around waiting for it to stop. As a result, the Red Sox and Rays will make up the game ‘ Tampa Bay’s last in Boston during the 2013 regular season ‘ Monday at 6:10 p.m.
The Red Sox are using the postponement as an opportunity to re-work their rotation, which will be as follows for the next five games:
Friday – John Lackey at Orioles
Saturday – Ryan Dempster at Orioles
Sunday – Jon Lester at Orioles
Monday - Felix Doubront vs. Rays
Tuesday – Brandon Workman vs. Mariners
The decision to change the order was in part to “[keep] four of the five guys on their normal turn despite John and Ryan getting an extra day,” manager John Farrell said. “It just felt like with Lester and Doubront in those slots, it felt like it was the way to go.”
Other Red Sox notes:
— With Workman pushed back to Tuesday, the rookie right-hander will be available out of the bullpen Friday and Saturday against the Orioles, according to Farrell.
— Having lost two out of three to the Rays this week, the Red Sox dropped their first home series in the last 10. That streak dated back to the May 10-12 matchups with the Blue Jays.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shuts down Dash offense, Callahan has wild outing
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest
- Weekly Notes: Moncada set to debut, Brian Johnson keeps producing
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech and Haley solid, Tejeda swinging a hot bat
- Yoan Moncada to debut with Greenville on Monday