Sunday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Jon Lester vs. Jason Hammel
|07.28.13 at 9:19 am ET|
Lester (9-6, 4.50 ERA) was better in his last start than he had been as of late, only allowing two earned runs on seven hits while striking out eight in a win over the Rays. Lester’s eight strikeouts in the game tied a season high ‘ something he achieved two other times this year. It was a nice change for Lester, who got a few extra days of rest after the All-Star break.
‘Just the way Jonny came out of the bullpen tonight, he was strong,’ said manager John Farrell. ‘It seems like the added rest did him some good. A lot of strikes. Power to his fastball for the full six-plus innings of work tonight.’
That type of performance, though, is not something Lester has delivered consistently this season, as he had allowed three or more runs in 10 out of his last 11 starts. Lester had a 6.27 ERA with a .307 opponents’ batting average during that span.
Lester has dominated the Orioles throughout his career, keeping a 14-2 record with a 2.86 ERA in 22 starts against Baltimore. However, he has had a lot of trouble with Matt Wieters, who has a .378 batting average against Lester with four extra-base hits.
Hammel (7-7, 5.20 ERA) has had a poor July so far, and has allowed 35 hits in four starts this month. Hammel started the season well, going 7-2 in his first 11 starts. However, the right-hander is 0-5 in his last nine starts with a 5.47 ERA during that span.
Last time out was a little bit better for Hammel, who only allowed three runs on 10 hits through six innings pitched. However, he did not get much in terms of run support and earned his seventh loss of the season. Hammel’s control was not good in the game, as he allowed four walks for the first time this season.
The heart of the Red Sox order has crushed Hammel in the past, as David Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia each have homers and batting averages in excess of .400 against him. The Red Sox also have the advantage of facing him at Camden Yards, where Hammel is 1-4 on the season with a 6.65 ERA.
Red Sox vs. Hammel (RHP)
Stephen Drew (19 plate appearances): .176 BA/.263 OBP/.235 SLG, 1 double, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
David Ortiz (16): .429/.500/.643, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (15): .455/.600/.545, 1 double, 1 RBI, 4 walks, 1 strikeout
Dustin Pedroia (12): .444/.500/.889, 1 home run, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (6): .400/.500/.400, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (6): .400/.500/.400, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (5): .200/.200/.200, 2 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (4): .667/.750/.667, 1 walk
Mike Napoli (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Mike Carp, Jose Iglesias, Ryan Lavarnway and Brandon Snyder have not faced Hammel.
Orioles vs. Lester (LHP)
Nick Markakis (61 plate appearances): .224 BA/.262 OBP/.328 SLG, 6 doubles, 1 RBI, 3 walks, 14 strikeouts
Adam Jones (52): .267/.365/.333, 3 doubles, 5 RBIs, 7 walks, 18 strikeouts
Brian Roberts (43): .237/.326/.474, 1 home run, 6 doubles, 1 RBI, 5 walks, 9 strikeouts
Matt Wieters (39): .378/.410/.514, 1 triple, 3 doubles, 7 RBIs, 2 walks, 10 strikeouts
J.J. Hardy (19): .333/.368/.667, 1 home run, 1 triple, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Chris Davis (17): .125/.176/.375, 1 home run, 1 double, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Alexi Casilla (10): .000/.200/.000, 2 walks
Manny Machado (6): .333/.333/.500, 1 double, 1 RBI
Nate McLouth (4): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeouts
Taylor Teagarden (4): .000/.000/.000, 4 strikeouts
Ryan Flaherty and Henry Urrutia have not faced Lester.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller