Sunday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Jon Lester vs. Jason Hammel
|07.28.13 at 9:19 am ET|
Lester (9-6, 4.50 ERA) was better in his last start than he had been as of late, only allowing two earned runs on seven hits while striking out eight in a win over the Rays. Lester’s eight strikeouts in the game tied a season high ‘ something he achieved two other times this year. It was a nice change for Lester, who got a few extra days of rest after the All-Star break.
‘Just the way Jonny came out of the bullpen tonight, he was strong,’ said manager John Farrell. ‘It seems like the added rest did him some good. A lot of strikes. Power to his fastball for the full six-plus innings of work tonight.’
That type of performance, though, is not something Lester has delivered consistently this season, as he had allowed three or more runs in 10 out of his last 11 starts. Lester had a 6.27 ERA with a .307 opponents’ batting average during that span.
Lester has dominated the Orioles throughout his career, keeping a 14-2 record with a 2.86 ERA in 22 starts against Baltimore. However, he has had a lot of trouble with Matt Wieters, who has a .378 batting average against Lester with four extra-base hits.
Hammel (7-7, 5.20 ERA) has had a poor July so far, and has allowed 35 hits in four starts this month. Hammel started the season well, going 7-2 in his first 11 starts. However, the right-hander is 0-5 in his last nine starts with a 5.47 ERA during that span.
Last time out was a little bit better for Hammel, who only allowed three runs on 10 hits through six innings pitched. However, he did not get much in terms of run support and earned his seventh loss of the season. Hammel’s control was not good in the game, as he allowed four walks for the first time this season.
The heart of the Red Sox order has crushed Hammel in the past, as David Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia each have homers and batting averages in excess of .400 against him. The Red Sox also have the advantage of facing him at Camden Yards, where Hammel is 1-4 on the season with a 6.65 ERA.
Red Sox vs. Hammel (RHP)
Stephen Drew (19 plate appearances): .176 BA/.263 OBP/.235 SLG, 1 double, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
David Ortiz (16): .429/.500/.643, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (15): .455/.600/.545, 1 double, 1 RBI, 4 walks, 1 strikeout
Dustin Pedroia (12): .444/.500/.889, 1 home run, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (6): .400/.500/.400, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (6): .400/.500/.400, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (5): .200/.200/.200, 2 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (4): .667/.750/.667, 1 walk
Mike Napoli (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Mike Carp, Jose Iglesias, Ryan Lavarnway and Brandon Snyder have not faced Hammel.
Orioles vs. Lester (LHP)
Nick Markakis (61 plate appearances): .224 BA/.262 OBP/.328 SLG, 6 doubles, 1 RBI, 3 walks, 14 strikeouts
Adam Jones (52): .267/.365/.333, 3 doubles, 5 RBIs, 7 walks, 18 strikeouts
Brian Roberts (43): .237/.326/.474, 1 home run, 6 doubles, 1 RBI, 5 walks, 9 strikeouts
Matt Wieters (39): .378/.410/.514, 1 triple, 3 doubles, 7 RBIs, 2 walks, 10 strikeouts
J.J. Hardy (19): .333/.368/.667, 1 home run, 1 triple, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Chris Davis (17): .125/.176/.375, 1 home run, 1 double, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Alexi Casilla (10): .000/.200/.000, 2 walks
Manny Machado (6): .333/.333/.500, 1 double, 1 RBI
Nate McLouth (4): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeouts
Taylor Teagarden (4): .000/.000/.000, 4 strikeouts
Ryan Flaherty and Henry Urrutia have not faced Lester.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles