Monday’s Red Sox-Rays matchups: Felix Doubront vs. David Price
|07.29.13 at 9:24 am ET|
If the Red Sox get a little dÃ©jÃ vu Monday night at Fenway Park, it would be hard to blame them. For the second time in five days, the Sox, holding onto a slim lead in the American League East, will send left-hander Felix Doubront to the mound to counter fellow southpaw David Price and the Rays.
That Red Sox loss featured an utterly dominant Price, who allowed the home team one run on five hits while walking none and striking out four. He needed only 97 pitches, 72 of which were strikes, in the complete-game effort.
A seventh-inning homer from Mike Napoli was Price’s lone error.
It was another exceptional outing for the reigning AL Cy Young Award winner, who on the season is 5-5 with a 3.75 ERA and 1.16 WHIP but has been considerably better in July after returning from a month-and-a-half stint on the disabled list with a triceps strain.
In the five starts (and three complete games) since, none of which have required more than 100 pitches, Price has struck out 27 batters while walking one in 41 innings.
Doubront held his own against the Rays last week, limiting the sixth-best scoring offense to three runs on six hits and two walks in 6 2/3 innings. He also fanned five Rays batters.
It was enough for a quality start, Doubront’s fifth in a row, but not enough with Price as his foil.
‘Once again I thought he had very good stuff,’ manager John Farrell told the media afterward. ‘Going into the seventh inning with three runs allowed is consistent with what he’s been doing the last couple months for us.’
Overall, Doubront has been solid in 2013 ‘ including a 3.78 ERA, 1.38 WHIP and 8.3 K/9 rate ‘ but, like Price, has been sharper this month. He has a 2.36 ERA and 1.05 WHIP while guiding the Sox to wins three times in four tries.
Rays vs. Doubront (LHP)
Ben Zobrist (22 plate appearances): .222 BA/.333 OBP/.222 SLG, 2 RBIs, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Yunel Escobar (20): .222/.300/.222, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Evan Longoria (19): .286/.421/.429, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs, 4 walks, 2 strikeouts
Sean Rodriguez (18): .176/.222/.294, 1 triple, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Desmond Jennings (17): .286/.412/.357, 1 double, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Luke Scott (16): .308/.375/.769, 2 home runs, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Kelly Johnson (15): .308/.400/.308, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
James Loney (9): .250/.333/.250, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Wil Myers (6): .400/.500/.400, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Matthew Joyce (4): .333/.500/.333, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jose Lobaton (4): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Jose Molina (4): .000/.250/.000
Sam Fuld has never faced Doubront.
Red Sox vs. Price (LHP)
Dustin Pedroia (45 plate appearances): .308 BA/.400 OBP/.487 SLG, 4 doubles, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 6 walks, 6 strikeouts
David Ortiz (36): .226/.333/.290, 2 doubles, 4 RBIs, 5 walks, 7 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (32): .233/.281/.500, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (22): .286/.318/.476, 1 double, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 12 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (19): .056/.105/.056, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (15): .214/.267/.286, 1 double, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (15): .308/.400/.308, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (14): .083/.214/.167, 1 double, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Jose Iglesias (9): .222/.222/.222, 3 strikeouts
Ryan Lavarnway (7): .286/.286/.429, 1 double, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (6): .000/.167/.000, 1 walk 1 strikeout
Brandon Snyder (4): .250/.250/.250
Mike Carp has never faced Price.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption