Monday’s Red Sox-Rays matchups: Felix Doubront vs. David Price
|07.29.13 at 9:24 am ET|
If the Red Sox get a little dÃ©jÃ vu Monday night at Fenway Park, it would be hard to blame them. For the second time in five days, the Sox, holding onto a slim lead in the American League East, will send left-hander Felix Doubront to the mound to counter fellow southpaw David Price and the Rays.
That Red Sox loss featured an utterly dominant Price, who allowed the home team one run on five hits while walking none and striking out four. He needed only 97 pitches, 72 of which were strikes, in the complete-game effort.
A seventh-inning homer from Mike Napoli was Price’s lone error.
It was another exceptional outing for the reigning AL Cy Young Award winner, who on the season is 5-5 with a 3.75 ERA and 1.16 WHIP but has been considerably better in July after returning from a month-and-a-half stint on the disabled list with a triceps strain.
In the five starts (and three complete games) since, none of which have required more than 100 pitches, Price has struck out 27 batters while walking one in 41 innings.
Doubront held his own against the Rays last week, limiting the sixth-best scoring offense to three runs on six hits and two walks in 6 2/3 innings. He also fanned five Rays batters.
It was enough for a quality start, Doubront’s fifth in a row, but not enough with Price as his foil.
‘Once again I thought he had very good stuff,’ manager John Farrell told the media afterward. ‘Going into the seventh inning with three runs allowed is consistent with what he’s been doing the last couple months for us.’
Overall, Doubront has been solid in 2013 ‘ including a 3.78 ERA, 1.38 WHIP and 8.3 K/9 rate ‘ but, like Price, has been sharper this month. He has a 2.36 ERA and 1.05 WHIP while guiding the Sox to wins three times in four tries.
Rays vs. Doubront (LHP)
Ben Zobrist (22 plate appearances): .222 BA/.333 OBP/.222 SLG, 2 RBIs, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Yunel Escobar (20): .222/.300/.222, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Evan Longoria (19): .286/.421/.429, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs, 4 walks, 2 strikeouts
Sean Rodriguez (18): .176/.222/.294, 1 triple, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Desmond Jennings (17): .286/.412/.357, 1 double, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Luke Scott (16): .308/.375/.769, 2 home runs, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Kelly Johnson (15): .308/.400/.308, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
James Loney (9): .250/.333/.250, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Wil Myers (6): .400/.500/.400, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Matthew Joyce (4): .333/.500/.333, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jose Lobaton (4): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Jose Molina (4): .000/.250/.000
Sam Fuld has never faced Doubront.
Red Sox vs. Price (LHP)
Dustin Pedroia (45 plate appearances): .308 BA/.400 OBP/.487 SLG, 4 doubles, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 6 walks, 6 strikeouts
David Ortiz (36): .226/.333/.290, 2 doubles, 4 RBIs, 5 walks, 7 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (32): .233/.281/.500, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (22): .286/.318/.476, 1 double, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 12 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (19): .056/.105/.056, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (15): .214/.267/.286, 1 double, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (15): .308/.400/.308, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (14): .083/.214/.167, 1 double, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Jose Iglesias (9): .222/.222/.222, 3 strikeouts
Ryan Lavarnway (7): .286/.286/.429, 1 double, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (6): .000/.167/.000, 1 walk 1 strikeout
Brandon Snyder (4): .250/.250/.250
Mike Carp has never faced Price.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Devers homers, Shawaryn stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins, Anderson deal, Swihart homers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching