Source: No trade involving Jackie Bradley Jr. imminent
|07.30.13 at 9:26 pm ET|
Red Sox Triple-A outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. was removed for pinch-hitter Justin Henry in the sixth inning of Tuesday night’s game in Pawtucket. However, while that raised suspicions about the possibility of a deal — particularly since there was no apparent injury to force Bradley from the game — an industry source said that no trade involving the center fielder was imminent.
Bradley, who was 1-for-2 in the PawSox contest, is hitting .278/.377/.489 with the PawSox. He continues to project as a hitter with the on-base skills to be a leadoff hitter while playing Gold Glove-caliber defense in center. That combination of skills is believed to make him virtually untouchable in trade talks, though of course, the Sox (like most teams) have a blanket never-say-never approach to the trade market. All the same, given his standing in the organization and the fact that he represents a fairly critical player should Jacoby Ellsbury depart as a free agent, the mere mention of his removal of the game was enough to ignite considerable surprise.
Anthony Ranaudo was also removed from his start for Double-A Portland, but given that he’d thrown 6 2/3 innings and that his seventh inning of work had just been extended by an error after 98 pitches, his removal appears to have been workload-related.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles