Source: No trade involving Jackie Bradley Jr. imminent
|07.30.13 at 9:26 pm ET|
Red Sox Triple-A outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. was removed for pinch-hitter Justin Henry in the sixth inning of Tuesday night’s game in Pawtucket. However, while that raised suspicions about the possibility of a deal — particularly since there was no apparent injury to force Bradley from the game — an industry source said that no trade involving the center fielder was imminent.
Bradley, who was 1-for-2 in the PawSox contest, is hitting .278/.377/.489 with the PawSox. He continues to project as a hitter with the on-base skills to be a leadoff hitter while playing Gold Glove-caliber defense in center. That combination of skills is believed to make him virtually untouchable in trade talks, though of course, the Sox (like most teams) have a blanket never-say-never approach to the trade market. All the same, given his standing in the organization and the fact that he represents a fairly critical player should Jacoby Ellsbury depart as a free agent, the mere mention of his removal of the game was enough to ignite considerable surprise.
Anthony Ranaudo was also removed from his start for Double-A Portland, but given that he’d thrown 6 2/3 innings and that his seventh inning of work had just been extended by an error after 98 pitches, his removal appears to have been workload-related.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome