Sources: Asking price remains too high for Red Sox regarding Cliff Lee, Jake Peavy, Michael Young
|07.30.13 at 8:08 am ET|
According to major league sources, the Red Sox remain engaged on pitchers Jake Peavy and Cliff Lee, as well as infielder Michael Young. But as of early Tuesday morning the team was not close to acquiring any of the players due to the continued high asking prices.
The Phillies and White Sox continue to ask for top-tier prospects for Lee and Peavy, respectively, while the Red Sox remain committed to not surrendering key pieces of their farm system.
One source said that of the two pitchers, Peavy would most likely be a more realistic acquisition for the Red Sox, although the 32-year-old’s price tag remains heftier than Boston is comfortable with.
Both Lee and Peavy are signed beyond this season, with the White Sox hurler due to earn $14.5 million in 2014, and the 34-year-old Phillies lefty making $25 million over the next two seasons with a $27.5 million vesting option for ’16.
Young — who is a free agent after this season — remains a prime target for the Red Sox, with the 36-year-old potentially filling the Sox’ need to upgrade offensively at third base. The organization also values Young’s reputation as a strong clubhouse presence.
Along with Young, the team’s biggest priority is identifying right-handed pitching help in its bullpen. Red Sox relievers have the worst batting average against in the American League when facing righty hitters. There is a thinking in the organization that even if a starter isn’t acquired, Brandon Workman can capably fill out the rotation until Clay Buchholz returns.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Margot helps Portland earn split as part of crazy Monday schedule
- Weekly Notes: Top prospects on the move
- Cup of Coffee: Salem, Greenville bullpens fall apart, Pawtucket wins in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Margot homers in Hadlock debut
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon, Miller shine in Salem debuts
- Notes from the Field: Margot's Double-A debut and more
- Cup of Coffee: Portland welcomes new call-ups, Moncada has big night
- Dubon promoted to Salem, Jerez to Portland in series of roster moves
- Devers, Margot named to Futures Game roster
- Report: Marrero, Aro, Bradley up to Boston