Trade Deadline: White Sox RHP Jake Peavy reportedly will be scratched from Tuesday start
|07.30.13 at 11:19 am ET|
White Sox right-hander Jake Peavy will be scratched from his start Tuesday night, according to a report from Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune, leading to speculation that he will be traded before Wednesday’s deadline.
Peavy, who has been the subject of trade rumors related to the Red Sox, Athletics, Braves, Cardinals and Orioles, brought five suitcases with him on the team’s road trip to Cleveland. However, these rumors appeared to cool off Monday, when the Athletics and Red Sox — the two favorites to acquire Peavy — reportedly moved on because the asking price was too high.
Peavy is 8-4 with a 4.28 ERA in 13 starts this year. The 32-year-old, who won the 2007 NL Cy Young Award with the Padres, is under contract through the 2014 season.
Boston was pegged as the most likely destination for Phillies left-hander Cliff Lee, who likely will be dealt, according to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News. A deal for Lee, who is 10-4 with a 3.05 ERA this season, would cost three or four top prospects, according to Jon Heyman of CBS, and it is unlikely that the Phillies would pay for any of the remaining $70 million on Lee’s contract. Salisbury also reported that Michael Young is drawing significant interest from the Red Sox and Yankees. The righty-hitting third baseman is batting .277 with a .342 on-base percentage and seven home runs.
WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford reported Tuesday that the asking price was still too high for Peavy, Lee and Young.
‘¢ The Red Sox have shown interest in Rockies reliever Josh Outman, according to Troy E. Renck of The Denver Post. The Indians also are interested in the left-handed reliever, according to the report. Outman is 2-0 with a 4.42 ERA this season.
‘¢ Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported that the Giants will definitely move former Red Sox reliever Javier Lopez (1-1, 1.42 ERA), but intend to make qualifying offers to free agents-to-be Hunter Pence and Tim Lincecum. CBS baseball reporter Danny Knobler reported that while Pence, who is batting .277 with 14 homers this season, will be available at a high price, it is unlikely that Lincecum (5-11, 4.61 ERA) is dealt.
‘¢ The Cubs already have dealt Matt Garza, Alfonso Soriano, Scott Feldman and Scott Hariston, but they could continue to be active as the trade deadline approaches. Nate Schierholtz, who is batting .274 with 14 home runs, could be the next to leave town, according to Jesse Rogers of ESPNChicago.com. The Rangers have been one team to show interest in Schierholtz, according to the report. Jeff Samardzija has drawn several offers, but the asking price for him is very high, according to Heyman. Samardzija is 6-9 with a 3.75 ERA.
‘¢ Jason Kubel and Ian Kennedy could be on their way out of Arizona, according to Peter Gammons of MLB.com, as the two have struggled this year. However, the money saved by dealing Kubel and Kennedy is not expected to free up enough money for the Diamondbacks to get Peavy. Kubel is batting .234 with only five home runs, while Kennedy is 3-7 with a 5.22 ERA.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven