Red Sox promoting Henry Owens to Double-A
|07.31.13 at 1:42 pm ET|
According to an industry source, the Red Sox are promoting left-hander Henry Owens to Double-A Portland. Owens just had a string of 19 1/3 no-hit innings spanning parts of four starts for High-A Salem, a stretch in which opponents were 0-for-55 against him. Owens, who turned 21 this month, is 8-5 with a 2.92 ERA, 10.6 strikeouts per nine innings and 4.6 walks per nine innings this year.
The 2011 supplemental first-rounder has a startling .180 opponents’ batting average, fourth lowest among all starters in full-season minor league baseball. He’s 21, he’s left-handed, he’s 6-foot-7 with an angle and release point that opposing hitters have almost never seen. At this point, now that he had his breakthrough with pitch efficiency, there’s virtually nothing left for him to prove in High-A.
That helps to explain why the Red Sox made the move to promote the wildly talented left-hander, who features a low-90s fastball that can touch 95 mph, a swing-and-miss changeup and a curveball that looks at times like a major league average offering. The Sox viewed him as virtually untouchable in trade talks.
In 20 starts, Owens has thrown 104 2/3 innings this year — exceeding his total of 101 2/3 innings last year in Single-A Greenville. But, Owens was less pitch efficient last year than he’s been this season, and so the Sox are comfortable with the idea that he has perhaps five or so remaining starts this year, with the innings bump representing a proper workload increase for a pitcher in his second full professional season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller