Sources: Red Sox replacing Jose Iglesias with Brock Holt for time being
|07.31.13 at 3:03 am ET|
According to a team source, the Red Sox will be promoting infielder Brock Holt to take the place of newly traded Jose Iglesias on the team’s 25-man roster Wednesday.
The move might be a temporary one depending on the Red Sox’ activity in the infield market prior to Wednesday’s non-waiver trade deadline. It is determined the team’s long-term solution will come from inside the organization, both Will Middlebrooks and Xander Bogaerts would be believed to be candidates for a promotion.
In a conference call with the media following his team’s three-team, seven-player trade — bringing Jake Peavy to Boston — Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington gave the impression no outside third base help would be arriving prior to the 4 p.m. deadline.
“Nothing planned. Nothing imminent,” Cherington said. “I think was we said before, we really feel like there are enough infielders here in the organization between Boston and Pawtucket that we can get good production from the left side of our infield. We’ll never rule anything out, but there’s certainly nothing imminent and I wouldn’t expect anything to happen by [Wednesday].”
Holt is hitting .264 with a .621 OPS in 69 games for Triple-A Pawtucket. The 25-year-old infielder played in 10 games for the Red Sox, hitting .290 with a .624 OPS in 38 plate appearances.
In the PawSox’ game Tuesday night, Middlebrooks notched a hit while continuing to show improved plate discipline. For the seventh time in the last nine games, the third baseman drew a walk.
Bogaerts went 0-for-2 in Pawtucket’s 5-4 win over Norfolk but scored a pair of runs. The 20-year-old is hitting .273 with a .909 OPS.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens