Brandon Lyon opts out of contract; Jackie Bradley Jr. goes on disabled list
|08.01.13 at 8:49 pm ET|
According to a press release from the Pawtucket Red Sox, reliever Brandon Lyon has decided to opt out of his minor league deal with the Sox and become a free agent.
Lyon made the decision after it was determined there was no current spot in the bullpen for him, with the team calling up Steven Wright to replace Brandon Workman in its latest transaction. (It should be noted that unlike Wright, Lyon is not on the 40-man roster.)
The 33-year-old appeared in four games for the PawSox, allowing one earned in 5 1/3 innings, striking out three and walking one.
In other PawSox news, Jackie Bradley Jr. was placed on the seven-day disabled list with right elbow inflammation, with the team activating outfielder Mitch Maier off the DL.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs
- Cup of Coffee: Kelly eyes return to Boston with 10 strikeouts