Brandon Lyon opts out of contract; Jackie Bradley Jr. goes on disabled list
|08.01.13 at 8:49 pm ET|
According to a press release from the Pawtucket Red Sox, reliever Brandon Lyon has decided to opt out of his minor league deal with the Sox and become a free agent.
Lyon made the decision after it was determined there was no current spot in the bullpen for him, with the team calling up Steven Wright to replace Brandon Workman in its latest transaction. (It should be noted that unlike Wright, Lyon is not on the 40-man roster.)
The 33-year-old appeared in four games for the PawSox, allowing one earned in 5 1/3 innings, striking out three and walking one.
In other PawSox news, Jackie Bradley Jr. was placed on the seven-day disabled list with right elbow inflammation, with the team activating outfielder Mitch Maier off the DL.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins