Brandon Lyon opts out of contract; Jackie Bradley Jr. goes on disabled list
|08.01.13 at 8:49 pm ET|
According to a press release from the Pawtucket Red Sox, reliever Brandon Lyon has decided to opt out of his minor league deal with the Sox and become a free agent.
Lyon made the decision after it was determined there was no current spot in the bullpen for him, with the team calling up Steven Wright to replace Brandon Workman in its latest transaction. (It should be noted that unlike Wright, Lyon is not on the 40-man roster.)
The 33-year-old appeared in four games for the PawSox, allowing one earned in 5 1/3 innings, striking out three and walking one.
In other PawSox news, Jackie Bradley Jr. was placed on the seven-day disabled list with right elbow inflammation, with the team activating outfielder Mitch Maier off the DL.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Trade deadline approaches
- Cup of Coffee: Light continues to shine, Portland mounts a comeback
- Red Sox acquire two pitching prospects in Peavy trade
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket pushes streak to 11 games
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson strikes out 12 in win, Betts leads PawSox in route
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball