Brandon Lyon opts out of contract; Jackie Bradley Jr. goes on disabled list
|08.01.13 at 8:49 pm ET|
According to a press release from the Pawtucket Red Sox, reliever Brandon Lyon has decided to opt out of his minor league deal with the Sox and become a free agent.
Lyon made the decision after it was determined there was no current spot in the bullpen for him, with the team calling up Steven Wright to replace Brandon Workman in its latest transaction. (It should be noted that unlike Wright, Lyon is not on the 40-man roster.)
The 33-year-old appeared in four games for the PawSox, allowing one earned in 5 1/3 innings, striking out three and walking one.
In other PawSox news, Jackie Bradley Jr. was placed on the seven-day disabled list with right elbow inflammation, with the team activating outfielder Mitch Maier off the DL.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket