Brandon Lyon opts out of contract; Jackie Bradley Jr. goes on disabled list
|08.01.13 at 8:49 pm ET|
According to a press release from the Pawtucket Red Sox, reliever Brandon Lyon has decided to opt out of his minor league deal with the Sox and become a free agent.
Lyon made the decision after it was determined there was no current spot in the bullpen for him, with the team calling up Steven Wright to replace Brandon Workman in its latest transaction. (It should be noted that unlike Wright, Lyon is not on the 40-man roster.)
The 33-year-old appeared in four games for the PawSox, allowing one earned in 5 1/3 innings, striking out three and walking one.
In other PawSox news, Jackie Bradley Jr. was placed on the seven-day disabled list with right elbow inflammation, with the team activating outfielder Mitch Maier off the DL.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg