Red Sox call up Steven Wright, activate Jake Peavy; Jose De La Torre, Brandon Workman sent down
|08.01.13 at 4:42 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced they they have promoted pitcher Steven Wright from Triple-A Pawtucket, while activating newly-acquired Jake Peavy. To make room on the roster, the Sox demoted both pitchers Jose De La Torre and Brandon Workman.
The moves were made, according to Red Sox manager John Farrell, because of the team’s need for potential bullpen arms. Workman wouldn’t presumably be available until Saturday, having started Monday. Farrell noted Peavy will start Saturday against the Diamondbacks.
“I met with Jake earlier today and he will start on Saturday. That will give us the ability to split up Jon Lester and Felix [Doubront],” Farrell said. “He’s excited. Looking forward to the challenge and the opportunity here. He’s excited to be here in Boston.”
Regarding the roster moves, the manager said, “A unique set of circumstances that we had to make two roster moves here today, one for obvious reasons in Jake’s arrival and then, two, recalling Steven Wright for Jose De La Torre just for the simple fact that if something unforseen happened were to happen early in the game we need someone who has the capability of five or six innings where Jose, we didn’t feel has that kind of length built up.”
Workman won’t be eligible to be recalled for 10 days, unless there is a player he can replace on the 25-man roster do to a 15-day disabled list designation. Upon his return, the righty will pitch out of the bullpen.
“He’s aware of that,” said Farrell of the plan for Workman to return to the team as quickly as possible. “Unfortunate circumstances last night takes him off the roster, but he understands the reasons why.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler