Red Sox option Brandon Workman to clear spot for Jake Peavy
|08.01.13 at 7:08 am ET|
According to an industry source, the Red Sox optioned right-hander Brandon Workman to the minor leagues after Wednesday night’s game in order to clear a roster spot for newly acquired starter Jake Peavy. Workman, 24, is 1-1 with a 3.54 ERA in four appearances for the Sox, including three starts in which he has a 2.45 ERA with 18 strikeouts and just four walks in 18 1/3 innings. With the acquisition of Peavy, the Sox plan on having Workman serve as a contributor out of their bullpen.
However, after he started on Tuesday night, he would be unavailable for bullpen duty until at least Saturday. At a time when the Sox bullpen will be depleted by its eight innings of work in Wednesday’s 15-inning, 5-4 walkoff win over the Mariners, the decision was made to send Workman down. Still, he’s expected to be back in the big leagues soon — perhaps as soon as he’s spent the minimum 10 days following an option in the minors — to contribute to the Sox in relief.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia