Red Sox option Brandon Workman to clear spot for Jake Peavy
|08.01.13 at 7:08 am ET|
According to an industry source, the Red Sox optioned right-hander Brandon Workman to the minor leagues after Wednesday night’s game in order to clear a roster spot for newly acquired starter Jake Peavy. Workman, 24, is 1-1 with a 3.54 ERA in four appearances for the Sox, including three starts in which he has a 2.45 ERA with 18 strikeouts and just four walks in 18 1/3 innings. With the acquisition of Peavy, the Sox plan on having Workman serve as a contributor out of their bullpen.
However, after he started on Tuesday night, he would be unavailable for bullpen duty until at least Saturday. At a time when the Sox bullpen will be depleted by its eight innings of work in Wednesday’s 15-inning, 5-4 walkoff win over the Mariners, the decision was made to send Workman down. Still, he’s expected to be back in the big leagues soon — perhaps as soon as he’s spent the minimum 10 days following an option in the minors — to contribute to the Sox in relief.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins