Red Sox option Brandon Workman to clear spot for Jake Peavy
|08.01.13 at 7:08 am ET|
According to an industry source, the Red Sox optioned right-hander Brandon Workman to the minor leagues after Wednesday night’s game in order to clear a roster spot for newly acquired starter Jake Peavy. Workman, 24, is 1-1 with a 3.54 ERA in four appearances for the Sox, including three starts in which he has a 2.45 ERA with 18 strikeouts and just four walks in 18 1/3 innings. With the acquisition of Peavy, the Sox plan on having Workman serve as a contributor out of their bullpen.
However, after he started on Tuesday night, he would be unavailable for bullpen duty until at least Saturday. At a time when the Sox bullpen will be depleted by its eight innings of work in Wednesday’s 15-inning, 5-4 walkoff win over the Mariners, the decision was made to send Workman down. Still, he’s expected to be back in the big leagues soon — perhaps as soon as he’s spent the minimum 10 days following an option in the minors — to contribute to the Sox in relief.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again