David Ortiz: ‘Nobody’ has offered clarification regarding 2003 list
|08.07.13 at 2:57 am ET|
HOUSTON ‘ The frustration hasn’t gone away for David Ortiz.
Speaking prior to the Red Sox‘ 15-10 win over the Astros, Ortiz expressed his continued displeasure over a lack of clarification regarding why he had been identified in 2009 as one of approximately 100 major-league players who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs during ’03 survey testing.
Ortiz told WEEI.com that despite numerous attempts to uncover what exactly he had been placed on the court-ordered sealed list for, there had been no cooperation from any of the parties involved.
‘No. Nobody. Not MLB. Not the Players Association. Nobody,’ said Ortiz when asked if anyone had revealed what he had reportedly tested positive for. ‘They just threw it out there that I tested positive on this one list and that was it. Nothing. So I have to deal with that, and your mind is all over the place. And I’ve lived with it.’
While performance-enhancing drugs have been at the forefront of the news in recent weeks ‘ with 12 major-league players being suspended 50 games, and Alex Rodriguez appealing his 211-game suspension ‘ the topic of Ortiz’ presence on the ‘03 list was surfaced when discussing obstacles this season.
While the 37-year-old has had to overcome an Achilles injury earlier this season ‘ along with going through off-the-field issues (a divorce) ‘ Ortiz still identified his obstacles four seasons ago as the most challenging of his career.
‘I don’t think I’m going to have a worse year than ‘09 and I came out of it,’ Ortiz said. ‘That’s the one thing I look at and the one thing I tell myself, ‘If you survive through that, you’re a warrior.’ A lot of things went down that year. Things I had nothing to do with. It was somebody was trying to hurt me.
‘It is something that is still in the dark because nobody ever had the [guts] to come to me and say, ‘This is what was happening.’ You damaged my image at the time, and it has always stayed like that. No explanation. No nothing.’
After his four-hit game Tuesday night, Ortiz is hitting .326 with a .992 OPS, fourth-best in the major leagues.
‘It’s been a crazy year,’ he said. ‘I’ve been going through a lot of things. But then I get to the field, I look at my teammates, I look at the hope people have in us, I look at where we are. That gets me going. Fenway Park is like a dream come true to me. When I walk into Fenway and I hear everybody screaming my name, that’s something that gets me going. That got me through a tough year.”
As for the lingering frustration over a continued lack of information regarding the ‘03 test, Ortiz reiterated, ‘A lot of things happen in your career that has to do with bad people trying to do stupid things.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Top 40 in Review: Michael Kopech and Sean Coyle
- Top 40 in Review: Wendell Rijo and Edwin Escobar
- Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Shaw and Sam Travis
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Marrero dominates in AFL
- Top 40 in Review: Nick Longhi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan