Koji Uehara’s 2014 option to vest with one more appearance
|08.12.13 at 1:16 pm ET|
Red Sox closer Koji Uehara has stabilized the back of his team’s bullpen while offering a dominating ninth-inning presence, recording a 1.35 ERA, 12 saves and striking out 74 while walking just nine in 53 1/3 innings this year. In his last 18 games (spanning 19 1/3 innings), he has not given up an earned run while striking out 25 and walking just two, with opponents hitting .109/.136/.125 against him since the start of July.
Now, it appears increasingly likely that the role is one in which Uehara may contribute not just for the rest of this season but also for next. According to an industry source, Uehara’s one-year, $4.25 million deal included a $4.25 million vesting option for the 2014 season that becomes guaranteed when he pitches in 55 games; incentives can push the value of the deal to $5 million with 35 games finished.
The 38-year-old now has appeared in 54 games, meaning that with his next appearance, his 2014 option will become guaranteed. Had the option not vested and had the Sox declined it, Uehara would have been eligible for free agency following this season.
In five seasons since coming to the big leagues from Japan, Uehara has a 2.58 ERA with the highest strikeout-to-walk rate (8.0 strikeouts per walk) in big league history.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash