Clay Buchholz calls bullpen session ‘the best day so far’
|08.14.13 at 8:35 pm ET|
TORONTO — Clay Buchholz is getting closer.
The injured starting pitcher (bursa sac strain) threw another bullpen session, Wednesday, this one including approximately 50 pitches. Buchholz said he amped up the intensity to 80-85 percent with no issues, calling the workout “the best day so far.”
The session — which included all of Buchholz’ pitches, along with some breaks to simulate getting up and down during a game — will now be followed with one more bullpen session, Saturday, and then possibly a simulated game. The simulated game was thought to be the last step prior to making a minor league rehab outing.
“Since that was the most intense that I’ve done anything, just see if there’s any lingering soreness or anything. I don’t anticipate that,” he sad. “I think I’ll be fine for Saturday, probably throw a bullpen and probably do the same things that I did today, the up and downs, then try to see if we can do something facing hitters.”
Despite the progress, Buchholz still isn’t identifying any sort of timeline for a return.
“I’ve already tried that and it didn’t work out too well,” he said. “I’ll just let it happen when it happens.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles