Clay Buchholz calls bullpen session ‘the best day so far’
|08.14.13 at 8:35 pm ET|
TORONTO — Clay Buchholz is getting closer.
The injured starting pitcher (bursa sac strain) threw another bullpen session, Wednesday, this one including approximately 50 pitches. Buchholz said he amped up the intensity to 80-85 percent with no issues, calling the workout “the best day so far.”
The session — which included all of Buchholz’ pitches, along with some breaks to simulate getting up and down during a game — will now be followed with one more bullpen session, Saturday, and then possibly a simulated game. The simulated game was thought to be the last step prior to making a minor league rehab outing.
“Since that was the most intense that I’ve done anything, just see if there’s any lingering soreness or anything. I don’t anticipate that,” he sad. “I think I’ll be fine for Saturday, probably throw a bullpen and probably do the same things that I did today, the up and downs, then try to see if we can do something facing hitters.”
Despite the progress, Buchholz still isn’t identifying any sort of timeline for a return.
“I’ve already tried that and it didn’t work out too well,” he said. “I’ll just let it happen when it happens.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash