Koji Uehara reaches guaranteed 2014 contract option with 55th appearance
|08.14.13 at 7:40 am ET|
Red Sox closer Koji Uehara earned more than a win on Tuesday night. With the 38-year-old’s 55th appearance of the season — a 1 1/3 inning scoreless effort in which he retired all four batters he faced and struck out one — Uehara reached a vesting option that calls for him to return to the Red Sox in 2014 for a $4.25 million deal, with incentives that could push the value of the deal to $5 million based on the number of games he finishes.
The Sox certainly won’t complain about the prospect of another year from the pitcher who has emerged as their closer, as Uehara has been one of the most dominant relievers in baseball this year. He has a 1.32 ERA with 75 strikeouts and just nine walks in 54 1/3 innings. Among American League pitchers with at least 50 innings, Uehara is the league leader in strikeouts per nine innings (12.35), ERA, strikeout-to-walk rate (8.3-to-1), WHIP (0.68), opponents’ batting average (.147) and opponents’ OBP (.190).
“He is more than deserving,” manager John Farrell told reporters of Uehara’s vesting option. “He’s been an outstanding pitcher for us from Day 1. We don’t’ forsee that changing because of the competitor he is and how talented he is and how he prepares. He’s done one hell of a job in the roles that he has filled.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort