Koji Uehara reaches guaranteed 2014 contract option with 55th appearance
|08.14.13 at 7:40 am ET|
Red Sox closer Koji Uehara earned more than a win on Tuesday night. With the 38-year-old’s 55th appearance of the season — a 1 1/3 inning scoreless effort in which he retired all four batters he faced and struck out one — Uehara reached a vesting option that calls for him to return to the Red Sox in 2014 for a $4.25 million deal, with incentives that could push the value of the deal to $5 million based on the number of games he finishes.
The Sox certainly won’t complain about the prospect of another year from the pitcher who has emerged as their closer, as Uehara has been one of the most dominant relievers in baseball this year. He has a 1.32 ERA with 75 strikeouts and just nine walks in 54 1/3 innings. Among American League pitchers with at least 50 innings, Uehara is the league leader in strikeouts per nine innings (12.35), ERA, strikeout-to-walk rate (8.3-to-1), WHIP (0.68), opponents’ batting average (.147) and opponents’ OBP (.190).
“He is more than deserving,” manager John Farrell told reporters of Uehara’s vesting option. “He’s been an outstanding pitcher for us from Day 1. We don’t’ forsee that changing because of the competitor he is and how talented he is and how he prepares. He’s done one hell of a job in the roles that he has filled.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes