John Farrell: Alex Rodriguez ‘being on the field is out of our hands’
|08.15.13 at 8:41 pm ET|
As the Red Sox get ready to take on the Yankees in a three-game series at Fenway Park starting on Friday, the team will face, for the first time this year, Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez. Rodriguez, of course, is currently appealing his 211-game suspension for his role in the Biogenesis scandal and for what Major League Baseball characterized as his obstruction of the investigation into it.
In eight games through Wednesday, Rodriguez is hitting .258/.343/.419 with a homer. Some have questioned the fairness of his ability to participate in games at a time when he has been suspended for the use of PEDs, but manager John Farrell suggested that he had no qualms with a player taking advantage of an appeals process that was secured through collective bargaining between players and owners.
“He has every right to appeal [the suspension], which he is. We know he’s going to be in the lineup, and we’ll prepare accordingly. The process he’s going through is well within his rights. They’re in place for a reason and you can’t argue it,” the manager told reporters. “He being on the field is out of our hands. Until completely proven guilty this is what we’re dealing with.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Aro throws four perfect innings, Rodriguez improves to 3-0
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas tosses Portland past Reading
- Red Sox to recall top prospect Blake Swihart
- Ty Buttrey promoted to Salem; Dedgar Jimenez joins Drive
- Cup of Coffee: Wright dazzles; Salem, Greenville lose heartbreakers
- Owens working through struggles while developing new pitch
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo returns, Drive explode for 11 in win
- Hinojosa and Layne recalled, Bradley optioned, Varvaro DFA'd
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart continues to sizzle, Witte impresses for Sea Dogs
- Red Sox to recall Jackie Bradley Jr. from Pawtucket