John Farrell: Alex Rodriguez ‘being on the field is out of our hands’
|08.15.13 at 8:41 pm ET|
As the Red Sox get ready to take on the Yankees in a three-game series at Fenway Park starting on Friday, the team will face, for the first time this year, Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez. Rodriguez, of course, is currently appealing his 211-game suspension for his role in the Biogenesis scandal and for what Major League Baseball characterized as his obstruction of the investigation into it.
In eight games through Wednesday, Rodriguez is hitting .258/.343/.419 with a homer. Some have questioned the fairness of his ability to participate in games at a time when he has been suspended for the use of PEDs, but manager John Farrell suggested that he had no qualms with a player taking advantage of an appeals process that was secured through collective bargaining between players and owners.
“He has every right to appeal [the suspension], which he is. We know he’s going to be in the lineup, and we’ll prepare accordingly. The process he’s going through is well within his rights. They’re in place for a reason and you can’t argue it,” the manager told reporters. “He being on the field is out of our hands. Until completely proven guilty this is what we’re dealing with.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs