Report: Alex Rodriguez’s ‘inner circle’ implicated Ryan Braun, Francisco Cervelli in Biogensis scandal
|08.16.13 at 6:53 am ET|
According to a report from CBS’ “60 Minutes,” the inner circle of Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez was involved in the leak of some of the key documents in the Biogenesis scandal, including those implicating both Ryan Braun of the Brewers and Rodriguez’s teammate with the Yankees, Francisco Cervelli.
From the report:
The leak came just days after the weekly newspaper Miami New Times published documents in January detailing Rodriguez’s pervasive use of performance enhancing drugs.
The handwritten documents of Anthony Bosch, the key witness in Major League Baseball’s PED investigation, revealed comprehensive doping regimens that Bosch had engineered for a host of professional athletes. His cooperation with MLB has resulted in the suspension of Rodriguez and 13 other major league players.
Braun and Cervelli’s names were redacted in the Miami New Times documents. Members of Rodriguez’s camp at the time obtained unredacted versions and leaked them to Yahoo! Sports, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the matter. The unredacted documents also implicated Baltimore Oriole Danny Valencia, who MLB later investigated and cleared.
In a statement to “60 Minutes,” Rodriguez lawyer David Cornwell said, “The allegations are untrue and are another attempt to harm Alex — this time by driving a wedge between Alex and other players in the game. While Alex focuses on baseball and repeatedly states that he is going to respect the appeal process, the drumbeat of false allegations continues.”
Braun ended up accepting a 65-game suspension, while Cervelli accepted a 50-game suspension from MLB.
Rodriguez and the Yankees open a three-game series against the Red Sox at Fenway Park on Friday night. Sox manager John Farrell said that he respects the right of Rodriguez to play while appealing his suspension.
- Gary DiSarcina named Baseball America Minor League Manager of the Year
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder
- Cecchini, Ranaudo, Brentz added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox 40-man roster additions expected