Clay Buchholz nearing simulated game, possible rehab assignment
|08.17.13 at 3:56 pm ET|
Clay Buchholz threw a 65-pitch session on Saturday with no issues. Buchholz got up and down four separate times in an effort to approximate distinct innings of work. For some of the bullpen session, teammates Brandon Snyder and Ryan Lavarnway stood in the batter’s box to give the right-hander the feel of facing an opponent.
“It feels like it came back pretty quick, but it was a little awkward seeing somebody stand up there besides a catcher,” said Buchholz. “I got more comfortable the more I threw to a hitter. Obviously the next step is to get some live swings off of me and see how that goes. I’m willing to do whatever they want me to do and whatever I have to do to get better.”
Farrell said the next step would be for Buchholz to throw a simulated game sometime next week. Farrell said that would likely take place either on the road with the team or in Pawtucket, with the simulated game serving as a potential prelude either to another simulated game or perhaps to a rehab assignment. The 29-year-old, who has been on the DL since June 8, is 9-0 with a 1.71 ERA this year.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs