Clay Buchholz nearing simulated game, possible rehab assignment
|08.17.13 at 3:56 pm ET|
Clay Buchholz threw a 65-pitch session on Saturday with no issues. Buchholz got up and down four separate times in an effort to approximate distinct innings of work. For some of the bullpen session, teammates Brandon Snyder and Ryan Lavarnway stood in the batter’s box to give the right-hander the feel of facing an opponent.
“It feels like it came back pretty quick, but it was a little awkward seeing somebody stand up there besides a catcher,” said Buchholz. “I got more comfortable the more I threw to a hitter. Obviously the next step is to get some live swings off of me and see how that goes. I’m willing to do whatever they want me to do and whatever I have to do to get better.”
Farrell said the next step would be for Buchholz to throw a simulated game sometime next week. Farrell said that would likely take place either on the road with the team or in Pawtucket, with the simulated game serving as a potential prelude either to another simulated game or perhaps to a rehab assignment. The 29-year-old, who has been on the DL since June 8, is 9-0 with a 1.71 ERA this year.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest
- Weekly Notes: Moncada set to debut, Brian Johnson keeps producing
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech and Haley solid, Tejeda swinging a hot bat
- Yoan Moncada to debut with Greenville on Monday
- Cup of Coffee: Witte nearly hits for the cycle, Devers strong for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Roberson hits for the cycle, Owens has impressive start
- Brian Johnson ignores the noise, dominates in Pawtucket