Joe Girardi on Ryan Dempster: ‘I wish he had to hit is what I wish’
|08.19.13 at 3:39 am ET|
Girardi made it clear several times that what bothered him the most was that home plate umpire Brian O’Nora didn’t immediately eject Dempster for what he thought was clearly intent to hit Rodriguez. Instead it was Girardi who was ejected.
One working theory is that Dempster was taking matters into his own hands by drilling Rodriguez for the shame he’s brought to baseball and the MLB Players Association. On Friday, Jon Lester was quoted as saying Rodriguez ‘spit in the face’ of baseball by allegedly cheating with performance enhancing drugs several times.
On Sunday night, after throwing a pitch behind his knees and then working the count to 3-0, Dempster hit Rodriguez with a fastball inside.
“You saw me on the top step. I never stand on the top step when he threw the first one behind him,” Girardi said. “You’d have to be really unaware and not paying attention to not know he threw at him on purpose.
“[O’Nora] should say that’s it. You had your shot. The first three were down the zone and the next one was up. It’s not right. You don’t take the law into your own hands. You don’t do that. We’re going to skip the judicial system? It’s ‘My Cousin Vinny.'”
The Yankees erased a 6-3 deficit thanks in part to Rodriguez, whose solo homer ignited a four-run sixth inning for New York in a 9-6 Yankee win.
“I’m sure it did,” Girardi said when asked if the Rodriguez incident fired up his team. “I don’t know I was gone. They rallied and responded.”
Girardi says Dempster can’t hide behind the Players Association brotherhood in defense of his actions Sunday night.
“I really didn’t because this is what the players voted on, this is what the players voted on. To me, it’s just flat wrong. I was a player. I understand how it goes. I wish he had to hit is what I wish.
“You can’t allow it to happen. You don’t allow people just to be thrown at just because you don’t like them or disagree with something. You can’t do that.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot