Joe Girardi on Ryan Dempster: ‘I wish he had to hit is what I wish’
|08.19.13 at 3:39 am ET|
Girardi made it clear several times that what bothered him the most was that home plate umpire Brian O’Nora didn’t immediately eject Dempster for what he thought was clearly intent to hit Rodriguez. Instead it was Girardi who was ejected.
One working theory is that Dempster was taking matters into his own hands by drilling Rodriguez for the shame he’s brought to baseball and the MLB Players Association. On Friday, Jon Lester was quoted as saying Rodriguez ‘spit in the face’ of baseball by allegedly cheating with performance enhancing drugs several times.
On Sunday night, after throwing a pitch behind his knees and then working the count to 3-0, Dempster hit Rodriguez with a fastball inside.
“You saw me on the top step. I never stand on the top step when he threw the first one behind him,” Girardi said. “You’d have to be really unaware and not paying attention to not know he threw at him on purpose.
“[O’Nora] should say that’s it. You had your shot. The first three were down the zone and the next one was up. It’s not right. You don’t take the law into your own hands. You don’t do that. We’re going to skip the judicial system? It’s ‘My Cousin Vinny.'”
The Yankees erased a 6-3 deficit thanks in part to Rodriguez, whose solo homer ignited a four-run sixth inning for New York in a 9-6 Yankee win.
“I’m sure it did,” Girardi said when asked if the Rodriguez incident fired up his team. “I don’t know I was gone. They rallied and responded.”
Girardi says Dempster can’t hide behind the Players Association brotherhood in defense of his actions Sunday night.
“I really didn’t because this is what the players voted on, this is what the players voted on. To me, it’s just flat wrong. I was a player. I understand how it goes. I wish he had to hit is what I wish.
“You can’t allow it to happen. You don’t allow people just to be thrown at just because you don’t like them or disagree with something. You can’t do that.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven