Red Sox call up Brayan Villarreal
|08.19.13 at 4:17 pm ET|
According to multiple industry sources, the final player the Red Sox recalled in a flurry of roster moves on Monday is relief pitcher Brayan Villarreal, whom the Sox acquired from Detroit in last month’s three-team trade with Chicago for starter Jake Peavey.
In two appearances for Triple-A Pawtucket, the right-handed Villarreal has allowed one hit and no runs over 2 1/3 innings, walking one and striking out two while earning one save. He went 2-2 for Toledo this season while in Detroit’s organization with a 3.15 ERA in 28 appearances. In 34 1/3 innings, he allowed 26 hits and 12 earned runs with 26 walks and 41 strikeouts.
For more on the Red Sox, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens