Red Sox call up Brayan Villarreal
|08.19.13 at 4:17 pm ET|
According to multiple industry sources, the final player the Red Sox recalled in a flurry of roster moves on Monday is relief pitcher Brayan Villarreal, whom the Sox acquired from Detroit in last month’s three-team trade with Chicago for starter Jake Peavey.
In two appearances for Triple-A Pawtucket, the right-handed Villarreal has allowed one hit and no runs over 2 1/3 innings, walking one and striking out two while earning one save. He went 2-2 for Toledo this season while in Detroit’s organization with a 3.15 ERA in 28 appearances. In 34 1/3 innings, he allowed 26 hits and 12 earned runs with 26 walks and 41 strikeouts.
For more on the Red Sox, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016