Source: Red Sox call up Xander Bogaerts amidst flurry of roster moves
|08.19.13 at 4:00 am ET|
The time has come.
The Red Sox made a host of roster changes shortly after midnight on Monday morning, following their 9-6 loss to the Yankees. Most notably, an industry source told WEEI.com that the team will call up shortstop and top prospect Xander Bogaerts to join them on the West Coast road trip, with utility infielder Brock Holt getting optioned back to Triple-A Pawtucket.
In 60 games with Triple-A Pawtucket, Bogaerts is hitting .284 with a .369 OBP, .453 slugging percentage and nine homers. He’s spent most of his time at his natural position of shortstop, but he’s also seen action in nine games at third base.
Holt hit .203 with a .275 OBP and .237 slugging mark in 23 games while serving as the utility infielder. Though he offered the team protection at three infield positions (shortstop, second base and third), the fact that he — like starting shortstop Stephen Drew — is left-handed suggested an imperfect complement given that Drew does exhibit notable platoon splits.
The team also optioned catcher Ryan Lavarnway (who has hit .283 with a .323 OBP and .383 slugging mark over 19 games at the big league level this year) back to Triple-A Pawtucket in order to clear a roster spot for David Ross, who will be activated from the 60-day DL following a four-game rehab assignment (in which he went 0-for-15 with a walk) with Triple-A Pawtucket. Additionally, the team optioned right-hander Rubby De La Rosa (4.76 ERA, three strikeouts, one walk and three hit batters in 5 2/3 innings spanning five games) back to Triple-A Pawtucket after he hit a batter, gave up a hit and a run with neither a strikeout nor a walk in the ninth inning of Sunday night’s game. The team will call up a reliever to take his place.
In order to clear spots on the 40-man roster for Bogaerts and Ross (who needs to be returned to the 40-man roster from the 60-day DL), the team has placed right-handers Andrew Bailey and Clay Buchholz on the 60-day DL. Buchholz, of course, is expected to be activated in the coming weeks, but since he has already missed more than two months due to his shoulder inflammation, his shift from the 15-day DL is merely procedural to generate a roster spot.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller