After simulated game, Clay Buchholz now eyeing rehab outings
|08.20.13 at 10:52 pm ET|
SAN FRANCISCO ‘ Clay Buchholz finally has somewhat of a public timetable.
After throwing a 46-pitch, three-inning simulated game Tuesday at AT&T Park, Buchholz was able to set a tentative schedule to map out his return to the big leagues.
The plan is for Buchholz to pitch another bullpen session Friday before making a minor-league rehab outing Sunday. If all goes as planned, the pitcher would then make another start in the minors before either participating in a third rehab appearance or pitching in an abbreviated major-league stint.
The third rehab outing might be dependent on if Triple-A Pawtucket makes the playoffs, which would extend the PawSox’ season past their regular season finale on Sept. 2. A postseason berth by Pawtucket would allow Buchholz to make another minor-league start.
‘It’s obviously taken a lot longer than I wanted it to or expected it to,’ said Buchholz, who hasn’t pitched in a major-league game since June 8 due to an inflamed bursa sac (trap/shoulder). ‘But if everything keeps going as everybody wants it to go, the body is going to be well-rested for an opportunity to help these guys and our team make a push here towards the end of the season and get to that postseason.’
And while Buchholz once again came away from the exercise with a healthy dose of optimism, he also understands building up stamina heading into his return will take a bit more time.
‘I don’t want to go out on a three-innings, 50-pitch limit and get into a game where everything’s feeling good and have to get to the point where it’s a tough decision to stay in or come out,’ he said. ‘I definitely want to build up some stamina and obviously throw some more pitches.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- Dubon taking journey from Honduras to the majors one stop at a time
- The Write-Up: Clay Buchholz
- Fort Report: Cuts, injuries and positional battles
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 1: Catchers
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system