After simulated game, Clay Buchholz now eyeing rehab outings
|08.20.13 at 10:52 pm ET|
SAN FRANCISCO ‘ Clay Buchholz finally has somewhat of a public timetable.
After throwing a 46-pitch, three-inning simulated game Tuesday at AT&T Park, Buchholz was able to set a tentative schedule to map out his return to the big leagues.
The plan is for Buchholz to pitch another bullpen session Friday before making a minor-league rehab outing Sunday. If all goes as planned, the pitcher would then make another start in the minors before either participating in a third rehab appearance or pitching in an abbreviated major-league stint.
The third rehab outing might be dependent on if Triple-A Pawtucket makes the playoffs, which would extend the PawSox’ season past their regular season finale on Sept. 2. A postseason berth by Pawtucket would allow Buchholz to make another minor-league start.
‘It’s obviously taken a lot longer than I wanted it to or expected it to,’ said Buchholz, who hasn’t pitched in a major-league game since June 8 due to an inflamed bursa sac (trap/shoulder). ‘But if everything keeps going as everybody wants it to go, the body is going to be well-rested for an opportunity to help these guys and our team make a push here towards the end of the season and get to that postseason.’
And while Buchholz once again came away from the exercise with a healthy dose of optimism, he also understands building up stamina heading into his return will take a bit more time.
‘I don’t want to go out on a three-innings, 50-pitch limit and get into a game where everything’s feeling good and have to get to the point where it’s a tough decision to stay in or come out,’ he said. ‘I definitely want to build up some stamina and obviously throw some more pitches.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Return to past hitting mechanics fueling Bobby Dalbec's success
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and LaMarre lead the way for PawSox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell