Indians grant Daisuke Matsuzaka his release
|08.20.13 at 12:25 pm ET|
The Indians granted pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka his release Tuesday, ending a stint with the organization in which he spent the entire season at Triple-A.
In 19 games for Triple-A Columbus, Matsuzaka had a 3.92 ERA with 39 walks and 95 strikeouts over 103 innings.
Now 32, Matsuzaka is in his seventh season playing professionally in North America after the Red Sox won the rights to negotiate with him thanks to a $51.1 1 million posting fee. The Sox then inked Matsuzaka to a six-year, $52 million deal, though he never emerged as the top-of-the-rotation starter he was projected to be in the major leagues. The Sox let him walk following the expiration of his contract, with Matsuzaka signing with Cleveland in February.
For more on the Red Sox, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven