Indians grant Daisuke Matsuzaka his release
|08.20.13 at 12:25 pm ET|
The Indians granted pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka his release Tuesday, ending a stint with the organization in which he spent the entire season at Triple-A.
In 19 games for Triple-A Columbus, Matsuzaka had a 3.92 ERA with 39 walks and 95 strikeouts over 103 innings.
Now 32, Matsuzaka is in his seventh season playing professionally in North America after the Red Sox won the rights to negotiate with him thanks to a $51.1 1 million posting fee. The Sox then inked Matsuzaka to a six-year, $52 million deal, though he never emerged as the top-of-the-rotation starter he was projected to be in the major leagues. The Sox let him walk following the expiration of his contract, with Matsuzaka signing with Cleveland in February.
For more on the Red Sox, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin