Ryan Dempster suspended five games for hitting Alex Rodriguez
|08.20.13 at 3:22 pm ET|
Major League Baseball has suspended Ryan Dempster for five games and fined him an undisclosed amount for “intentionally throwing at and hitting Alex Rodriguez” on Sunday night, the league announced Tuesday afternoon. The suspension begins Tuesday night unless Dempster appeals.
Dempster was not ejected from the game, but both benches received warnings after the incident. Rodriguez was leading off the top of the second when he got hit. The Yankees went on to score twice in the inning and wound up winning the game, 9-6.
Dempster’s next scheduled start would have been Saturday in Los Angeles. Because the Red Sox have an off-day on Thursday, they could just skip his spot in the rotation rather than have someone make a spot start.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Matt Huegel
- Sox have seventh pick in draft
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Chris Hatfield
- SoxProspects.com 2014 season-end award winners
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #64: Playing Out the Stretch
- Weekly Notes: Prospects flock to Boston
- 2014 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- 2014 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox fall late in Gildan Championship Game
- The Write-Up: Rusney Castillo