Ryan Dempster suspended five games for hitting Alex Rodriguez
|08.20.13 at 3:22 pm ET|
Major League Baseball has suspended Ryan Dempster for five games and fined him an undisclosed amount for “intentionally throwing at and hitting Alex Rodriguez” on Sunday night, the league announced Tuesday afternoon. The suspension begins Tuesday night unless Dempster appeals.
Dempster was not ejected from the game, but both benches received warnings after the incident. Rodriguez was leading off the top of the second when he got hit. The Yankees went on to score twice in the inning and wound up winning the game, 9-6.
Dempster’s next scheduled start would have been Saturday in Los Angeles. Because the Red Sox have an off-day on Thursday, they could just skip his spot in the rotation rather than have someone make a spot start.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo