Ryan Dempster suspended five games for hitting Alex Rodriguez
|08.20.13 at 3:22 pm ET|
Major League Baseball has suspended Ryan Dempster for five games and fined him an undisclosed amount for “intentionally throwing at and hitting Alex Rodriguez” on Sunday night, the league announced Tuesday afternoon. The suspension begins Tuesday night unless Dempster appeals.
Dempster was not ejected from the game, but both benches received warnings after the incident. Rodriguez was leading off the top of the second when he got hit. The Yankees went on to score twice in the inning and wound up winning the game, 9-6.
Dempster’s next scheduled start would have been Saturday in Los Angeles. Because the Red Sox have an off-day on Thursday, they could just skip his spot in the rotation rather than have someone make a spot start.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory