Ryan Dempster suspended five games for hitting Alex Rodriguez
|08.20.13 at 3:22 pm ET|
Major League Baseball has suspended Ryan Dempster for five games and fined him an undisclosed amount for “intentionally throwing at and hitting Alex Rodriguez” on Sunday night, the league announced Tuesday afternoon. The suspension begins Tuesday night unless Dempster appeals.
Dempster was not ejected from the game, but both benches received warnings after the incident. Rodriguez was leading off the top of the second when he got hit. The Yankees went on to score twice in the inning and wound up winning the game, 9-6.
Dempster’s next scheduled start would have been Saturday in Los Angeles. Because the Red Sox have an off-day on Thursday, they could just skip his spot in the rotation rather than have someone make a spot start.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Miller homer lifts Portland following Rodriguez gem
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve