Ryan Dempster suspended five games for hitting Alex Rodriguez
|08.20.13 at 3:22 pm ET|
Major League Baseball has suspended Ryan Dempster for five games and fined him an undisclosed amount for “intentionally throwing at and hitting Alex Rodriguez” on Sunday night, the league announced Tuesday afternoon. The suspension begins Tuesday night unless Dempster appeals.
Dempster was not ejected from the game, but both benches received warnings after the incident. Rodriguez was leading off the top of the second when he got hit. The Yankees went on to score twice in the inning and wound up winning the game, 9-6.
Dempster’s next scheduled start would have been Saturday in Los Angeles. Because the Red Sox have an off-day on Thursday, they could just skip his spot in the rotation rather than have someone make a spot start.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox trade Andrew Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez
- Red Sox send Lackey. Littrell, and cash to Cardinals for Joe Kelly, Allen Craig
- Red Sox acquire Cespedes and draft pick for Lester and Gomes
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's arm carries Portland to victory
- Felix Doubront traded to Cubs for PTBNL
- Cup of Coffee: Owens lifts Portland, Guzman's big day not enough for Greenville
- Justin Haley promoted to Portland; Jonathan Aro moved up to Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/21-27: Brian Johnson & Travis Shaw
- Cup of Coffee: Rain can't dampen Augliera, Swihart
- Weekly Notes: Trade deadline approaches