Tuesday’s Red Sox-Giants matchups: Jake Peavy vs. Ryan Vogelsong
|08.20.13 at 9:16 am ET|
Peavy (9-5, 4.41 ERA) has been a mixed bag since the Red Sox acquired him before the trade deadline, going 1-1 with a 5.00 ERA through his first three starts for Boston. Most of those runs came in a no-decision against the Royals, when he allowed six runs and 10 hits through five innings. He has only allowed a combined four runs on nine hits while striking out 11 in his two other starts.
The 32-year-old right-hander was saddled with his first loss in a Red Sox uniform last time out, when he allowed two runs on five hits through six innings in a 2-1 loss to the Blue Jays. It was a tough decision for Peavy, who had not allowed a run on only two hits through the first six innings. Three straight hits to start the seventh knocked Peavy out of the game, but the damage was already done.
“Jake threw the ball well,” Farrell told reporters after the loss. “Certainly deserved a better fate.”
Peavy, who started his career in the National League with the Padres, has been relatively successful against the Giants in his career, going 12-9 with a 3.51 ERA in 25 career starts against them. However, he has not been as successful at AT&T Park, going 8-5 with a 4.06 ERA in 13 starts there.
Vogelsong (2-4, 6.75 ERA) has only started two games since returning from a broken hand. The right-hander had a strong return, only allowing two runs on six hits through six innings on Aug. 9. However, Vogelsong did not last long in his second start, allowing three runs on six hits through 3 2/3 innings.
It has been one of the worst seasons of Vogelsong’s career this year, as the 35-year-old has not had a season with a 6.75 ERA or worse since 2001, when he had a 6.75 ERA in 15 games between the Giants and Pirates. However, Vogelsong’s K/BB ratio (1.96) is better than it had been two years ago (2.28), when he was an All-Star.
Vogelsong does not have much experience against the Red Sox, as he has only pitched three innings against Boston in his career — during which he allowed only one run. He has not faced anyone in the Red Sox lineup more than three times.
Red Sox vs. Vogelsong (RHP)
Stephen Drew (3 plate appearances): .333 BA/.333 OBP/.333 SLG
Jonny Gomes (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk
David Ortiz (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Shane Victorino (2): .000/.000/.000
Jake Peavy (1): 1.000 OBP, 1 walk
No other Red Sox batters have faced Vogelsong
Giants vs. Peavy (RHP)
Jeff Francoeur (33 plate appearances): .344 BA/.364 OBP/.375 SLG, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 9 strikeouts
Pablo Sandoval (10): .300/.300/.600, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Matt Cain (8): .000/.000/.000, 4 strikeouts
Hunter Pence (6): .167/.167/.667, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Marco Scutaro (4): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Joaquin Arias (3): .333/.333/.333, 2 RBIs
Gregor Blanco (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Barry Zito (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Tim Lincecum (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 strikeout
Sergio Romo (1): .000/.000/.000
Andres Torres (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins