Jonny Gomes after Ryan Dempster’s suspension: ‘That’s just what A-Rod is going to bring from now on’
|08.21.13 at 5:38 am ET|
SAN FRANCISCO ‘ Ryan Dempster is doing his best to end the controversy, but, as his teammates pointed out Tuesday, that might not be so easy.
The Red Sox‘ pitcher explained that he would not be appealing his five-game suspension levied by Major League Baseball Sunday for hitting Alex Rodriguez, citing the desire to do what was best for the Red Sox.
‘It has to do with just taking my suspension, putting it in the past,’ Dempster said. ‘There’s no point in carrying out an appeals process. We’ve got other things to worry about, and that’s going out there and winning a ballgame tonight against the San Francisco Giants. I’ll take my punishment.’
Dempster did, however, seemingly take one dig at Rodriguez ‘ who is appealing his 211-game suspension for his role in the Biogenesis scandal ‘ when asked why he wasn’t appealing the ruling.
‘I thought about appealing, but at the end of the day Major League Baseball I think does a really good job of thinking through punishments before they hand them out,’ Dempster said. ‘I just thought it was in the best interest of us as a team to go ahead and serve my suspension and move forward and do what I need to do be ready to go out there and help us.’
But while the Sox starter ‘ who has no timetable as to when he might pitch again, other than a scheduled simulated game Friday ‘ was hoping his portion of the Rodriguez’ drama would subside, some in the Red Sox clubhouse were wary such chaos would be sticking around for a while.
‘That’s just what A-Rod is going to bring from now on,’ said Red Sox outfielder Jonny Gomes. ‘Say someone slides hard into third. Remember, he got hit and immediately the benches came out. When does that happen?
‘If he slides hard into second, benches are going to clear. If someone slides hard into him, benches are going to clear. Everything this dude does is going to get exposed now. A-Rod gets hit, we have to suspend him. What will happen when someone steals third and spikes him? ‘¦ Everything this guy does is going be totally exposed.’
Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester agreed with the assessment that Rodriguez’ presence promises to add an element of discomfort for the season’s final few weeks.
‘Obviously what’s going on with him right now, everything is going to be under the microscope,’ Lester said. ‘I think anytime you have him, us, the Yankees, things are always going to get blown up. With him it’s going to be a circus all year surrounding whatever goes on. If he has a great game and you might be the next team saying he shouldn’t be playing. It’s going to be a story the rest of the time until he wins his appeal or loses the appeal and serves his suspension. I think we all have to kind of dig in for the long haul on it and ride out the appeals process and see where he’s at the end.’
Meanwhile, Dempster continued to take the high road when asked about any frustration he might have regarding his own suspension.
‘I wish things would have played out differently,’ he said. ‘I didn’t want to get suspended but they handed down suspensions, so I will respect that.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller