Ryan Dempster will skip start, return for beginning of White Sox series
|08.21.13 at 4:38 pm ET|
Dempster, who is currently serving a five-game suspension for hitting Yankees Alex Rodriguez Sunday night, will participate in a simulated game Friday.
The Red Sox have two off days over the next week, with the team not playing Thursday or Monday, allowing for Dempster to skip his scheduled start.
“With the off-days coming up, we’re just trying to not get too many days off for guys,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell prior to his team’s series finale against the Giants Wednesday. “There are some matchups along the way as well, seeing how we can take advantage of all of them.”
Dempster, who will have gone 11 days between starts, has allowed five or more runs in five of his last seven starts, with opponents hitting .311 over that span.
“Because his status or his experience, I don’t think the additional days at this point in the year will cause him to get out of a routine or affect the overall command,” Farrell said. “When we’ve seen added rest at this point in the year, he’s been more sharp, and the crispness to the secondary stuff has been noticeable.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin