Ryan Dempster will skip start, return for beginning of White Sox series
|08.21.13 at 4:38 pm ET|
Dempster, who is currently serving a five-game suspension for hitting Yankees Alex Rodriguez Sunday night, will participate in a simulated game Friday.
The Red Sox have two off days over the next week, with the team not playing Thursday or Monday, allowing for Dempster to skip his scheduled start.
“With the off-days coming up, we’re just trying to not get too many days off for guys,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell prior to his team’s series finale against the Giants Wednesday. “There are some matchups along the way as well, seeing how we can take advantage of all of them.”
Dempster, who will have gone 11 days between starts, has allowed five or more runs in five of his last seven starts, with opponents hitting .311 over that span.
“Because his status or his experience, I don’t think the additional days at this point in the year will cause him to get out of a routine or affect the overall command,” Farrell said. “When we’ve seen added rest at this point in the year, he’s been more sharp, and the crispness to the secondary stuff has been noticeable.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 1: Catchers
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball