Ryan Dempster will skip start, return for beginning of White Sox series
|08.21.13 at 4:38 pm ET|
Dempster, who is currently serving a five-game suspension for hitting Yankees Alex Rodriguez Sunday night, will participate in a simulated game Friday.
The Red Sox have two off days over the next week, with the team not playing Thursday or Monday, allowing for Dempster to skip his scheduled start.
“With the off-days coming up, we’re just trying to not get too many days off for guys,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell prior to his team’s series finale against the Giants Wednesday. “There are some matchups along the way as well, seeing how we can take advantage of all of them.”
Dempster, who will have gone 11 days between starts, has allowed five or more runs in five of his last seven starts, with opponents hitting .311 over that span.
“Because his status or his experience, I don’t think the additional days at this point in the year will cause him to get out of a routine or affect the overall command,” Farrell said. “When we’ve seen added rest at this point in the year, he’s been more sharp, and the crispness to the secondary stuff has been noticeable.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Couch leads PawSox to Series win
- Cup of Coffee: Owens struggles, pushing PawSox to the brink
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket drops game two in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket takes game one of Governor's Cup
- Rusney Castillo flashes exciting potential in Triple-A debut
- Barnes promoted to Boston
- The Write-Up: Matt Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Playoff baseball begins for affiliates, Castillo continues ascent
- Cup of Coffee: Portland's season comes to an end
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #63: Just Sayin' Hi