Ryan Dempster will skip start, return for beginning of White Sox series
|08.21.13 at 4:38 pm ET|
Dempster, who is currently serving a five-game suspension for hitting Yankees Alex Rodriguez Sunday night, will participate in a simulated game Friday.
The Red Sox have two off days over the next week, with the team not playing Thursday or Monday, allowing for Dempster to skip his scheduled start.
“With the off-days coming up, we’re just trying to not get too many days off for guys,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell prior to his team’s series finale against the Giants Wednesday. “There are some matchups along the way as well, seeing how we can take advantage of all of them.”
Dempster, who will have gone 11 days between starts, has allowed five or more runs in five of his last seven starts, with opponents hitting .311 over that span.
“Because his status or his experience, I don’t think the additional days at this point in the year will cause him to get out of a routine or affect the overall command,” Farrell said. “When we’ve seen added rest at this point in the year, he’s been more sharp, and the crispness to the secondary stuff has been noticeable.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Ian Cundall
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Matt Huegel
- Sox have seventh pick in draft
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Chris Hatfield
- SoxProspects.com 2014 season-end award winners
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #64: Playing Out the Stretch
- Weekly Notes: Prospects flock to Boston
- 2014 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- 2014 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox fall late in Gildan Championship Game