Wednesday’s Red Sox-Giants matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Barry Zito
|08.21.13 at 10:42 am ET|
Doubront (8-6, 3.95 ERA) has struggled in his last two starts, not pitching more than four innings in either outing. The 25-year-old has a 10.13 ERA during those two outings and opponents have a .465 on-base percentage against him. This recent poor showing is not consistent with the way Doubront had been pitching before August, as he was 4-3 with a 2.66 ERA through June and July.
His last outing was his worst outing since May, as he allowed seven runs (six earned) on eight hits through four innings before being pulled in a 10-3 loss to the Yankees. Doubront had trouble with the long ball in the game, as he allowed two home runs in a game for the first time since May 26.
Doubront has never faced the Giants in his career and has no experience against Giants hitters. The only Giants hitter he had faced, Jeff Francoeur, was designated for assignment Tuesday.
Zito (4-8, 5.34 ERA) will be taking the mound after Chad Gaudin was placed on the DL with carpal tunnel syndrome Tuesday. Zito will be making his first start since July, as he has served as a reliever for the Giants since the beginning of August and has a 10.80 ERA in four relief appearances.
The 35-year-old lefty had significant struggles as a starter in June and July, going 0-5 with a 6.66 ERA and a .410 on-base percentage in 10 starts during those two months. Zito only pitched seven innings in a game twice during that span, and allowed four or more runs in six of those 10 starts.
While David Ortiz typically is worse against left-handed pitching, he has not had much trouble against Zito throughout his career, hitting two homers and three doubles while maintaining a .400 batting average through 27 plate appearances against him.
Red Sox vs. Zito (LHP)
Stephen Drew (35 plate appearances): .333 BA/.343 OBP/.455 SLG, 1 triple, 2 doubles, 8 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
David Ortiz (27): .400/.444/.760, 2 home runs, 3 doubles, 5 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (19): .200/.368/.333, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs, 4 walks, 2 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (12): .222/.333/.222, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (11): .273/.273/.364, 1 double, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (6): .667/.667/1.333, 1 home run, 1 double, 3 RBIs
David Ross (5): .250/.400/.250, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Jake Peavy (4): .000/.000/.000
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (3): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
John Lackey (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 RBI
Mike Carp, Jacoby Ellsbury, Will Middlebrooks and Daniel Nava have not faced Zito.
Giants vs. Doubront (LHP)
No Giants batters have faced Doubront.
This post has been updated from an earlier version that had Chad Gaudin starting for the Giants.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts