David Ortiz stands up for Alex Rodriguez, questions Ryan Dempster
|08.22.13 at 9:37 am ET|
David Ortiz questioned teammate Ryan Dempster‘s actions Sunday night, when the pitcher threw four straight inside pitches at A-Rod, finally hitting him with the final offering. Dempster was suspended by Major League Baseball for five games.
“I didn’t like it. I don’t think it was the right thing to do,” Ortiz told USA Today. “But we don’t all think alike, and the guy who did it, Dempster, is a great guy. It’s not that I didn’t think it was right because Alex and I are friends, because once you cross the white lines, everyone’s on their own.
“But we’ve got Tampa right on our heels, and that pitch woke up a monster in the Yankees team at that moment. You saw how the game ended up. CC [Sabathia] was throwing 91 [mph] and started throwing 96. Alex later hit one way out there. You’re talking about a good team that you can’t wake up. But we learn from our mistakes.”
Ortiz also weighed in on Rodriguez’s PED-related 211-game suspension, which is being appealed, and A-Rod’s dispute with Yankees management.
“I thought handing down a 200-plus-game suspension had something to do with his contract,'” Ortiz said.
“And thinking in general terms, what’s good for me, what’s good for other players, what’s good for your kids if they decide to become ballplayers, you can’t let any team break a contract, because then the next time a player gets a DUI, or is charged with domestic violence or with any other thing, then the team may try to get out of a contract. They would have [precedent].”
Ortiz, whose name showed up on a list of players who tested positive in 2003 but questioned those results, voiced a desire to see PEDs eliminated from the game.
“I think it’s time for us as players to get our head straight and realize you should use the ability God gave you and just go with that,” he said. “But it’s easier said than done because there’s so much money in this game, and that’s what everybody wants.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated