David Ortiz stands up for Alex Rodriguez, questions Ryan Dempster
|08.22.13 at 9:37 am ET|
David Ortiz questioned teammate Ryan Dempster‘s actions Sunday night, when the pitcher threw four straight inside pitches at A-Rod, finally hitting him with the final offering. Dempster was suspended by Major League Baseball for five games.
“I didn’t like it. I don’t think it was the right thing to do,” Ortiz told USA Today. “But we don’t all think alike, and the guy who did it, Dempster, is a great guy. It’s not that I didn’t think it was right because Alex and I are friends, because once you cross the white lines, everyone’s on their own.
“But we’ve got Tampa right on our heels, and that pitch woke up a monster in the Yankees team at that moment. You saw how the game ended up. CC [Sabathia] was throwing 91 [mph] and started throwing 96. Alex later hit one way out there. You’re talking about a good team that you can’t wake up. But we learn from our mistakes.”
Ortiz also weighed in on Rodriguez’s PED-related 211-game suspension, which is being appealed, and A-Rod’s dispute with Yankees management.
“I thought handing down a 200-plus-game suspension had something to do with his contract,’” Ortiz said.
“And thinking in general terms, what’s good for me, what’s good for other players, what’s good for your kids if they decide to become ballplayers, you can’t let any team break a contract, because then the next time a player gets a DUI, or is charged with domestic violence or with any other thing, then the team may try to get out of a contract. They would have [precedent].”
Ortiz, whose name showed up on a list of players who tested positive in 2003 but questioned those results, voiced a desire to see PEDs eliminated from the game.
“I think it’s time for us as players to get our head straight and realize you should use the ability God gave you and just go with that,” he said. “But it’s easier said than done because there’s so much money in this game, and that’s what everybody wants.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Miller homer lifts Portland following Rodriguez gem
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve
- Cup of Coffee: Barnes impresses in shutout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo shuts out Lehigh Valley
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem