David Ortiz stands up for Alex Rodriguez, questions Ryan Dempster
|08.22.13 at 9:37 am ET|
David Ortiz questioned teammate Ryan Dempster‘s actions Sunday night, when the pitcher threw four straight inside pitches at A-Rod, finally hitting him with the final offering. Dempster was suspended by Major League Baseball for five games.
“I didn’t like it. I don’t think it was the right thing to do,” Ortiz told USA Today. “But we don’t all think alike, and the guy who did it, Dempster, is a great guy. It’s not that I didn’t think it was right because Alex and I are friends, because once you cross the white lines, everyone’s on their own.
“But we’ve got Tampa right on our heels, and that pitch woke up a monster in the Yankees team at that moment. You saw how the game ended up. CC [Sabathia] was throwing 91 [mph] and started throwing 96. Alex later hit one way out there. You’re talking about a good team that you can’t wake up. But we learn from our mistakes.”
Ortiz also weighed in on Rodriguez’s PED-related 211-game suspension, which is being appealed, and A-Rod’s dispute with Yankees management.
“I thought handing down a 200-plus-game suspension had something to do with his contract,'” Ortiz said.
“And thinking in general terms, what’s good for me, what’s good for other players, what’s good for your kids if they decide to become ballplayers, you can’t let any team break a contract, because then the next time a player gets a DUI, or is charged with domestic violence or with any other thing, then the team may try to get out of a contract. They would have [precedent].”
Ortiz, whose name showed up on a list of players who tested positive in 2003 but questioned those results, voiced a desire to see PEDs eliminated from the game.
“I think it’s time for us as players to get our head straight and realize you should use the ability God gave you and just go with that,” he said. “But it’s easier said than done because there’s so much money in this game, and that’s what everybody wants.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe