Ricky Nolasco, Dodgers spoil solid John Lackey outing, shutout Red Sox
|08.24.13 at 12:25 am ET|
LOS ANGELES — Ricky Nolaso allowed just two hits over eight innings, striking out six and not walking a batter on the way to leading his Dodgers to a 2-0 win over the Red Sox in the teams’ series opener at Dodger Stadium Friday night.
“This, from a right-hander, is probably as good as start as we’ve seen against us,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell. “And to his credit, he had very good stuff and good location throughout.’
The difference in the game proved to Hanley Ramirez‘ two-run home run in the fourth inning against Sox starter John Lackey. It was one of the few mistakes by Lackey, who went toe-to-toe with Nolasco, also going eight innings while giving up just three hits..
Lackey, who also struck out six without walking a batter, became the first Red Sox pitcher to lose a complete game while allowing three or fewer base hits since Pedro Martinez (Aug. 8, 2000).
Lackey is averaging being supported with just 3.98 runs per game, lowest of any Red Sox starter. Ryan Dempster (6.32), Jon Lester (5.67) and Felix Doubront (5.08) all have been getting significantly more help than Friday night’s starter.
‘Typically there’s that one starter in the rotation that’s going to fall victim of maybe some less run support than others. He’s been the guy,” Farrell said. “I think he’s been on the mound on half the times we’ve been shut out this season. (Note: Lackey has started four of the 10 games Sox have been shutout.) We talked about this not long ago. We feel like he’s pitched better than the numbers might indicate, certainly the win-loss. you know what, that’s the game this game goes.”
Lackey did drop his ERA to 3.17, his lowest since July 20.
“I want to win the game. I didn’t come here for ERA,” Lackey told reporters. “I came here to try to win a championship.”
Former Red Sox Carl Crawford came away with a pair of hits and a stolen base, while Adrian Gonzalez went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill