Ricky Nolasco, Dodgers spoil solid John Lackey outing, shutout Red Sox
|08.24.13 at 12:25 am ET|
LOS ANGELES — Ricky Nolaso allowed just two hits over eight innings, striking out six and not walking a batter on the way to leading his Dodgers to a 2-0 win over the Red Sox in the teams’ series opener at Dodger Stadium Friday night.
“This, from a right-hander, is probably as good as start as we’ve seen against us,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell. “And to his credit, he had very good stuff and good location throughout.’
The difference in the game proved to Hanley Ramirez‘ two-run home run in the fourth inning against Sox starter John Lackey. It was one of the few mistakes by Lackey, who went toe-to-toe with Nolasco, also going eight innings while giving up just three hits..
Lackey, who also struck out six without walking a batter, became the first Red Sox pitcher to lose a complete game while allowing three or fewer base hits since Pedro Martinez (Aug. 8, 2000).
Lackey is averaging being supported with just 3.98 runs per game, lowest of any Red Sox starter. Ryan Dempster (6.32), Jon Lester (5.67) and Felix Doubront (5.08) all have been getting significantly more help than Friday night’s starter.
‘Typically there’s that one starter in the rotation that’s going to fall victim of maybe some less run support than others. He’s been the guy,” Farrell said. “I think he’s been on the mound on half the times we’ve been shut out this season. (Note: Lackey has started four of the 10 games Sox have been shutout.) We talked about this not long ago. We feel like he’s pitched better than the numbers might indicate, certainly the win-loss. you know what, that’s the game this game goes.”
Lackey did drop his ERA to 3.17, his lowest since July 20.
“I want to win the game. I didn’t come here for ERA,” Lackey told reporters. “I came here to try to win a championship.”
Former Red Sox Carl Crawford came away with a pair of hits and a stolen base, while Adrian Gonzalez went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller