Ricky Nolasco, Dodgers spoil solid John Lackey outing, shutout Red Sox
|08.24.13 at 12:25 am ET|
LOS ANGELES — Ricky Nolaso allowed just two hits over eight innings, striking out six and not walking a batter on the way to leading his Dodgers to a 2-0 win over the Red Sox in the teams’ series opener at Dodger Stadium Friday night.
“This, from a right-hander, is probably as good as start as we’ve seen against us,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell. “And to his credit, he had very good stuff and good location throughout.’
The difference in the game proved to Hanley Ramirez‘ two-run home run in the fourth inning against Sox starter John Lackey. It was one of the few mistakes by Lackey, who went toe-to-toe with Nolasco, also going eight innings while giving up just three hits..
Lackey, who also struck out six without walking a batter, became the first Red Sox pitcher to lose a complete game while allowing three or fewer base hits since Pedro Martinez (Aug. 8, 2000).
Lackey is averaging being supported with just 3.98 runs per game, lowest of any Red Sox starter. Ryan Dempster (6.32), Jon Lester (5.67) and Felix Doubront (5.08) all have been getting significantly more help than Friday night’s starter.
‘Typically there’s that one starter in the rotation that’s going to fall victim of maybe some less run support than others. He’s been the guy,” Farrell said. “I think he’s been on the mound on half the times we’ve been shut out this season. (Note: Lackey has started four of the 10 games Sox have been shutout.) We talked about this not long ago. We feel like he’s pitched better than the numbers might indicate, certainly the win-loss. you know what, that’s the game this game goes.”
Lackey did drop his ERA to 3.17, his lowest since July 20.
“I want to win the game. I didn’t come here for ERA,” Lackey told reporters. “I came here to try to win a championship.”
Former Red Sox Carl Crawford came away with a pair of hits and a stolen base, while Adrian Gonzalez went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016