Clay Buchholz rehab start live updates
|08.25.13 at 5:20 pm ET|
FISHKILL, N.Y. — Check in here for updates from the first start by Clay Buchholz since June 8. Buchholz is making a rehab start for the Short-Season Single-A Lowell Spinner against the Hudson Valley Renegades (the Tampa Bay Rays affiliate), with the right-hander expected to throw 45-50 pitches.
FIRST INNING: Buchholz got roughed up early by the Renegades. Leadoff man Julian Ridings lofted a 2-1 fastball to the warning track in left field. Though catchable, the ball clanged off the glove of left-fielder Kevin Mager for a two-base error, then got kicked to the wall by Mager for another two-base error that allowed Ridings to round the bases on the first play of the game. Buchholz then walked right fielder Darryl George on a full count, followed by a hanging curveball that Ariel Soriano slammed off the fence in left-center field for an RBI triple that turned into a two-run hit when center fielder Manuel Margot threw wildly to third.
Buchholz seemed to settle in a bit after that, with a strikeout looking and a pop-up to short, but an eight-pitch walk to Granden Goetzman, a stolen base and another walk led to the end of his day after 2/3 of an inning in which he permitted three runs (one earned) on one hit and three walks while striking out one. He threw 38 pitches, 19 balls and 19 strikes.
Some bootlegged shots of Buchholz from his start in more than 11 weeks:
- Preliminary 'New Stars for Young Stars' lineup announced
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Big weeks for Acosta and Welch
- Gary DiSarcina named Baseball America Minor League Manager of the Year
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder