Red Sox activate Matt Thornton, option Brayan Villarreal
|08.25.13 at 5:20 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced Sunday that they have activated relief pitcher Matt Thornton off the 15-day disabled list, while optioning reliever Brayan Villarreal back to Triple-A Pawtucket.
Thornton had been on the disabled list since August 7, having suffered a right oblique strain. Since being acquired for minor leaguer Brandon Jacobs, Thornton has gone 0-1 with a 2.16 ERA in 8 1/3 innings. For the season, the lefty is 0-4 with a 3.47 ERA in 50 games.
The 26-year-old Villarreal made just one appearance for the Red Sox, walking the only batter he faced (Marco Scutaro) in the Red Sox’ Aug. 20 loss to the Giants. The bases-loaded free pass handed San Francisco the walk-off win.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot
- Podcast Ep. #108: 2016 Rankings Special
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Kopech continues to dominate
- October Notes: Fall ball and front office changes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada sidelined by thumb sprain
- Help Wanted: Web Editors & Social Media Specialists