Red Sox activate Matt Thornton, option Brayan Villarreal
|08.25.13 at 5:20 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced Sunday that they have activated relief pitcher Matt Thornton off the 15-day disabled list, while optioning reliever Brayan Villarreal back to Triple-A Pawtucket.
Thornton had been on the disabled list since August 7, having suffered a right oblique strain. Since being acquired for minor leaguer Brandon Jacobs, Thornton has gone 0-1 with a 2.16 ERA in 8 1/3 innings. For the season, the lefty is 0-4 with a 3.47 ERA in 50 games.
The 26-year-old Villarreal made just one appearance for the Red Sox, walking the only batter he faced (Marco Scutaro) in the Red Sox’ Aug. 20 loss to the Giants. The bases-loaded free pass handed San Francisco the walk-off win.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin
- Podcast Ep. 88: Breaking down the Kimbrel trade