Red Sox activate Matt Thornton, option Brayan Villarreal
|08.25.13 at 5:20 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced Sunday that they have activated relief pitcher Matt Thornton off the 15-day disabled list, while optioning reliever Brayan Villarreal back to Triple-A Pawtucket.
Thornton had been on the disabled list since August 7, having suffered a right oblique strain. Since being acquired for minor leaguer Brandon Jacobs, Thornton has gone 0-1 with a 2.16 ERA in 8 1/3 innings. For the season, the lefty is 0-4 with a 3.47 ERA in 50 games.
The 26-year-old Villarreal made just one appearance for the Red Sox, walking the only batter he faced (Marco Scutaro) in the Red Sox’ Aug. 20 loss to the Giants. The bases-loaded free pass handed San Francisco the walk-off win.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Watkins earns save after catching 14 innings
- Weekly Notes: Johnson makes Major League debut
- Cup of Coffee: Big offensive performances from Pawtucket, Greenville and Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Travis highlight tight Portland victory
- Cup of Coffee: Tejeda's big night pushes Portland past Fisher Cats
- 2015 Draft Recap: Benintendi a best-case scenario
- Podcast Ep. 81: Dropping in on the Drive, Darren Fenster interview
- Cup of Coffee: Owens solid again, Portland stages comeback
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi, Heller, bullpens highlight day for system
- Cup of Coffee: Aybar, Espinoza lead the GCL Red Sox