Red Sox activate Matt Thornton, option Brayan Villarreal
|08.25.13 at 5:20 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced Sunday that they have activated relief pitcher Matt Thornton off the 15-day disabled list, while optioning reliever Brayan Villarreal back to Triple-A Pawtucket.
Thornton had been on the disabled list since August 7, having suffered a right oblique strain. Since being acquired for minor leaguer Brandon Jacobs, Thornton has gone 0-1 with a 2.16 ERA in 8 1/3 innings. For the season, the lefty is 0-4 with a 3.47 ERA in 50 games.
The 26-year-old Villarreal made just one appearance for the Red Sox, walking the only batter he faced (Marco Scutaro) in the Red Sox’ Aug. 20 loss to the Giants. The bases-loaded free pass handed San Francisco the walk-off win.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort