Daniel Bard nearing return to games
|08.26.13 at 9:29 am ET|
It has been more than three months since Daniel Bard last pitched in a game. That could change soon.
The right-hander, who last pitched on May 15 when he permitted five walks and a hit in one inning for Double-A Portland, has been in Fort Myers rehabbing from an abdominal strain. He began a throwing program earlier this month, and has advanced to work off a mound.
The Sox, according to a team source, expect that he will pitch in a game “sooner than later,” with the team planning to have him work in games before the end of the minor league season. With the minor league regular season wrapping up next Sunday — and even sooner in the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League (where the regular season concludes on Thursday) — it would appear that Bard’s opportunity to put a different stamp on his 2013 season than the one that characterized his drastic struggles in Portland could be on the very near horizon.
The 28-year-old struggled to throw strikes in Portland earlier this year, with a 6.39 ERA in 13 games that included 17 walks and just six strikeouts in 12 2/3 innings. But in hindsight, the reliever believes that his struggles stemmed largely from an attempt to pitch through an injury that was more severe than he initially realized.
Bard recently told Rob Bradford that he believes he can help the Red Sox in the big leagues this year.
“Everything is feeling good and there’s just enough time let to give me two or three weeks to get going again, a couple of outings in the minors,” Bard said earlier this month. “Hopefully they’re still in need of bullpen guys because I feel like I can definitely help. I want to help. ‘I’ve obviously been keeping track of the team. It looks like they’re having a lot of fun up there. I wouldn’t mind being a part of that at the end of the year.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville