Daniel Bard throws a shutout inning in Rookie Level Gulf Coast League
|08.26.13 at 1:27 pm ET|
For the first time since May 15, Red Sox right-hander Daniel Bard pitched in a game.
The 28-year-old, who has been in Fort Myers rehabbing from an abdominal strain that the pitcher says he incurred in April, logged a scoreless inning in the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League. He entered the game in the fourth inning, walking the first batter he faced and then giving up a single to put runners on first and second.
However, he then settled to get a flyout to right for the first out of the inning. He then elicited a grounder to second, but shortstop Raymel Flores misplayed the feed at second for an error that loaded the bases with one out. The runner on third was thrown out in an attempt to advance home and a fastball that skipped away from catcher Alixon Suarez, and Bard then concluded his frame by striking out GCL Orioles left fielder Jesus Martinez on a slider. As suggested by those two pitches, Bard’s fastball command was inconsistent but he did throw what an evaluator described as a couple of good sliders.
Bard was followed into the game by right-hander Alfredo Aceves, who is pitching in his first game since recording two outs in the third inning of a contest against the Mariners on July 9. Aceves, who was subsequently removed from the Red Sox’ 40-man roster and outrighted to the roster of Triple-A Pawtucket, has been on the PawSox’ disabled list due to an oblique strain.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #61: Wild Turkeys, July 2, and the Draft