Daniel Bard throws a shutout inning in Rookie Level Gulf Coast League
|08.26.13 at 1:27 pm ET|
The 28-year-old, who has been in Fort Myers rehabbing from an abdominal strain that the pitcher says he incurred in April, logged a scoreless inning in the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League. He entered the game in the fourth inning, walking the first batter he faced and then giving up a single to put runners on first and second.
However, he then settled to get a flyout to right for the first out of the inning. He then elicited a grounder to second, but shortstop Raymel Flores misplayed the feed at second for an error that loaded the bases with one out. The runner on third was thrown out in an attempt to advance home and a fastball that skipped away from catcher Alixon Suarez, and Bard then concluded his frame by striking out GCL Orioles left fielder Jesus Martinez on a slider. As suggested by those two pitches, Bard’s fastball command was inconsistent but he did throw what an evaluator described as a couple of good sliders.
Bard was followed into the game by right-hander Alfredo Aceves, who is pitching in his first game since recording two outs in the third inning of a contest against the Mariners on July 9. Aceves, who was subsequently removed from the Red Sox’ 40-man roster and outrighted to the roster of Triple-A Pawtucket, has been on the PawSox’ disabled list due to an oblique strain.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela