Daniel Bard throws a shutout inning in Rookie Level Gulf Coast League
|08.26.13 at 1:27 pm ET|
The 28-year-old, who has been in Fort Myers rehabbing from an abdominal strain that the pitcher says he incurred in April, logged a scoreless inning in the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League. He entered the game in the fourth inning, walking the first batter he faced and then giving up a single to put runners on first and second.
However, he then settled to get a flyout to right for the first out of the inning. He then elicited a grounder to second, but shortstop Raymel Flores misplayed the feed at second for an error that loaded the bases with one out. The runner on third was thrown out in an attempt to advance home and a fastball that skipped away from catcher Alixon Suarez, and Bard then concluded his frame by striking out GCL Orioles left fielder Jesus Martinez on a slider. As suggested by those two pitches, Bard’s fastball command was inconsistent but he did throw what an evaluator described as a couple of good sliders.
Bard was followed into the game by right-hander Alfredo Aceves, who is pitching in his first game since recording two outs in the third inning of a contest against the Mariners on July 9. Aceves, who was subsequently removed from the Red Sox’ 40-man roster and outrighted to the roster of Triple-A Pawtucket, has been on the PawSox’ disabled list due to an oblique strain.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia
- Betts, Castillo highlight Red Sox Rookie Development Program participants