Clay Buchholz likely to make two more rehab starts
|08.27.13 at 6:13 pm ET|
While right-hander Clay Buchholz looked rusty in his rehab start for the Short-Season Single-A Lowell Spinners on Sunday, he emerged from the appearance — in which he yielded three runs (one earned) while recording two outs and throwing 19 of 38 pitches for strikes — without any physical setbacks. And so, he is ready to move forward in his rehab assignment.
Manager John Farrell said on Tuesday that Buchholz will next pitch on Friday for either Double-A Portland or Triple-A Pawtucket (both of whom are at home), with the expectation that he will throw approximately 55 pitches. As things currently stand, Farrell expects Buchholz will likely make one more rehab appearance after Friday, taking advantage of the fact that the Sox have a number of affiliates who will be in the playoffs beyond the end of the minor league regular season on Monday.
“I still go back to it being almost three months since he’s been in a major league game,” said Farrell. “The need for a third minor league appearance is probably more realistic at this point.”
Based on that expectation, the earliest that Buchholz would be expected to return to the big leagues would be for a Sept. 10 game against the Rays, with the possibility of making as many as four starts over the final 17 games of the season.
The right-hander last pitched in the big leagues on June 8. He is 9-0 with a 1.71 ERA this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's six perfect innings quiet Louisville's bats
- Cup of Coffee: Buttrey stays unbeaten; Longhi's bat paces Drive
- Scouting Scratch: High minors bullpen arms
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada returns, Bradley Jr. goes off
- Eduardo Rodriguez to be recalled for Thursday start
- Cup of Coffee: Roof and Tekotte go back-to-back in Portland win
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Stankiewicz fires eight-inning gem to lead Salem
- Weekly Notes: The Yoan Moncada era begins
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shuts down Dash offense, Callahan has wild outing