Clay Buchholz likely to make two more rehab starts
|08.27.13 at 6:13 pm ET|
While right-hander Clay Buchholz looked rusty in his rehab start for the Short-Season Single-A Lowell Spinners on Sunday, he emerged from the appearance — in which he yielded three runs (one earned) while recording two outs and throwing 19 of 38 pitches for strikes — without any physical setbacks. And so, he is ready to move forward in his rehab assignment.
Manager John Farrell said on Tuesday that Buchholz will next pitch on Friday for either Double-A Portland or Triple-A Pawtucket (both of whom are at home), with the expectation that he will throw approximately 55 pitches. As things currently stand, Farrell expects Buchholz will likely make one more rehab appearance after Friday, taking advantage of the fact that the Sox have a number of affiliates who will be in the playoffs beyond the end of the minor league regular season on Monday.
“I still go back to it being almost three months since he’s been in a major league game,” said Farrell. “The need for a third minor league appearance is probably more realistic at this point.”
Based on that expectation, the earliest that Buchholz would be expected to return to the big leagues would be for a Sept. 10 game against the Rays, with the possibility of making as many as four starts over the final 17 games of the season.
The right-hander last pitched in the big leagues on June 8. He is 9-0 with a 1.71 ERA this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs