Clay Buchholz likely to make two more rehab starts
|08.27.13 at 6:13 pm ET|
While right-hander Clay Buchholz looked rusty in his rehab start for the Short-Season Single-A Lowell Spinners on Sunday, he emerged from the appearance — in which he yielded three runs (one earned) while recording two outs and throwing 19 of 38 pitches for strikes — without any physical setbacks. And so, he is ready to move forward in his rehab assignment.
Manager John Farrell said on Tuesday that Buchholz will next pitch on Friday for either Double-A Portland or Triple-A Pawtucket (both of whom are at home), with the expectation that he will throw approximately 55 pitches. As things currently stand, Farrell expects Buchholz will likely make one more rehab appearance after Friday, taking advantage of the fact that the Sox have a number of affiliates who will be in the playoffs beyond the end of the minor league regular season on Monday.
“I still go back to it being almost three months since he’s been in a major league game,” said Farrell. “The need for a third minor league appearance is probably more realistic at this point.”
Based on that expectation, the earliest that Buchholz would be expected to return to the big leagues would be for a Sept. 10 game against the Rays, with the possibility of making as many as four starts over the final 17 games of the season.
The right-hander last pitched in the big leagues on June 8. He is 9-0 with a 1.71 ERA this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles