Clay Buchholz likely to make two more rehab starts
|08.27.13 at 6:13 pm ET|
While right-hander Clay Buchholz looked rusty in his rehab start for the Short-Season Single-A Lowell Spinners on Sunday, he emerged from the appearance — in which he yielded three runs (one earned) while recording two outs and throwing 19 of 38 pitches for strikes — without any physical setbacks. And so, he is ready to move forward in his rehab assignment.
Manager John Farrell said on Tuesday that Buchholz will next pitch on Friday for either Double-A Portland or Triple-A Pawtucket (both of whom are at home), with the expectation that he will throw approximately 55 pitches. As things currently stand, Farrell expects Buchholz will likely make one more rehab appearance after Friday, taking advantage of the fact that the Sox have a number of affiliates who will be in the playoffs beyond the end of the minor league regular season on Monday.
“I still go back to it being almost three months since he’s been in a major league game,” said Farrell. “The need for a third minor league appearance is probably more realistic at this point.”
Based on that expectation, the earliest that Buchholz would be expected to return to the big leagues would be for a Sept. 10 game against the Rays, with the possibility of making as many as four starts over the final 17 games of the season.
The right-hander last pitched in the big leagues on June 8. He is 9-0 with a 1.71 ERA this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- April Players of the Month: Andrew Benintendi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again