Manny Machado: ‘Excited to see [Xander Bogaerts] come up’
|08.27.13 at 6:47 pm ET|
As the Baltimore Orioles enter Fenway for a critical three-game set, O’s third base sensation Manny Machado discussed his growth as a major leaguer and the recent call-up of Red Sox rookie Xander Bogaerts.
The 21-year-old Oriole felt humbled that people in Boston are already pinning their hopes that the 20-year-old Bogaerts will turn into the next Machado.
“Definitely,” said Machado. “But if you’re going to make it to the big leagues, that means you can play. And Bogaerts can play. Everybody here is excited to see him come up.”
Machado, who has delivered a major league-leading 44 doubles on the year, presented a simplified approach for success as his Orioles look to make the post-season for a second consecutive season.
“Just go play baseball,” said Machado. “The more experience you have, you’re only going to get better at everything. I feel more comfortable at the plate, more comfortable getting up, more comfortable going out there. That’s what Buck [Showalter] wants us to do — just go play baseball. Buck tells me to go out there, have fun, play every day, give 100 percent, and help the team win.”
Before taking batting practice, Machado offered a piece of advice for Bogaerts: control what you can control.
“Just see ball, hit ball,” said a smiling Machado. “See the ball, hit the ball. That’s all you have to do. Just keep playing baseball and keep having fun, and everything will fall into place.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens