Manny Machado: ‘Excited to see [Xander Bogaerts] come up’
|08.27.13 at 6:47 pm ET|
As the Baltimore Orioles enter Fenway for a critical three-game set, O’s third base sensation Manny Machado discussed his growth as a major leaguer and the recent call-up of Red Sox rookie Xander Bogaerts.
The 21-year-old Oriole felt humbled that people in Boston are already pinning their hopes that the 20-year-old Bogaerts will turn into the next Machado.
“Definitely,” said Machado. “But if you’re going to make it to the big leagues, that means you can play. And Bogaerts can play. Everybody here is excited to see him come up.”
Machado, who has delivered a major league-leading 44 doubles on the year, presented a simplified approach for success as his Orioles look to make the post-season for a second consecutive season.
“Just go play baseball,” said Machado. “The more experience you have, you’re only going to get better at everything. I feel more comfortable at the plate, more comfortable getting up, more comfortable going out there. That’s what Buck [Showalter] wants us to do — just go play baseball. Buck tells me to go out there, have fun, play every day, give 100 percent, and help the team win.”
Before taking batting practice, Machado offered a piece of advice for Bogaerts: control what you can control.
“Just see ball, hit ball,” said a smiling Machado. “See the ball, hit the ball. That’s all you have to do. Just keep playing baseball and keep having fun, and everything will fall into place.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome