Manny Machado: ‘Excited to see [Xander Bogaerts] come up’
|08.27.13 at 6:47 pm ET|
As the Baltimore Orioles enter Fenway for a critical three-game set, O’s third base sensation Manny Machado discussed his growth as a major leaguer and the recent call-up of Red Sox rookie Xander Bogaerts.
The 21-year-old Oriole felt humbled that people in Boston are already pinning their hopes that the 20-year-old Bogaerts will turn into the next Machado.
“Definitely,” said Machado. “But if you’re going to make it to the big leagues, that means you can play. And Bogaerts can play. Everybody here is excited to see him come up.”
Machado, who has delivered a major league-leading 44 doubles on the year, presented a simplified approach for success as his Orioles look to make the post-season for a second consecutive season.
“Just go play baseball,” said Machado. “The more experience you have, you’re only going to get better at everything. I feel more comfortable at the plate, more comfortable getting up, more comfortable going out there. That’s what Buck [Showalter] wants us to do — just go play baseball. Buck tells me to go out there, have fun, play every day, give 100 percent, and help the team win.”
Before taking batting practice, Machado offered a piece of advice for Bogaerts: control what you can control.
“Just see ball, hit ball,” said a smiling Machado. “See the ball, hit the ball. That’s all you have to do. Just keep playing baseball and keep having fun, and everything will fall into place.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela