Red Sox trade Clayton Mortensen to Royals for Quintin Berry
|08.27.13 at 2:51 pm ET|
The Red Sox swung a minor-league trade with the Royals, sending right-handed pitcher Clayton Mortensen to the Royals in exchange for outfielder Quintin Berry.
Mortonsen, 28, has spent the last two seasons in the Red Sox organization, making 50 appearances and compiling a 4.11 ERA with the Sox over 167 1/3 major-league innings. He has also played for the Cardinals, Athletics and Rockies. Most recently he had been pitching for Triple-A Pawtucket, where he began showing improvement in what was otherwise a challenging season.
The 28-year-old Berry has only played one season at the major league level, appearing in 94 games for the Tigers with a .258 batting average, two homers, 29 RBI and 21 stolen bases. He was waived in June and claimed by the Royals, who used him at Triple-A Omaha. In 97 games at Triple-A between Omaha and Toledo (as a member of the Tigers organization), he has 28 stolen bases this season.
For more on the Red Sox, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins