Red Sox trade Clayton Mortensen to Royals for Quintin Berry
|08.27.13 at 2:51 pm ET|
The Red Sox swung a minor-league trade with the Royals, sending right-handed pitcher Clayton Mortensen to the Royals in exchange for outfielder Quintin Berry.
Mortonsen, 28, has spent the last two seasons in the Red Sox organization, making 50 appearances and compiling a 4.11 ERA with the Sox over 167 1/3 major-league innings. He has also played for the Cardinals, Athletics and Rockies. Most recently he had been pitching for Triple-A Pawtucket, where he began showing improvement in what was otherwise a challenging season.
The 28-year-old Berry has only played one season at the major league level, appearing in 94 games for the Tigers with a .258 batting average, two homers, 29 RBI and 21 stolen bases. He was waived in June and claimed by the Royals, who used him at Triple-A Omaha. In 97 games at Triple-A between Omaha and Toledo (as a member of the Tigers organization), he has 28 stolen bases this season.
For more on the Red Sox, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket