Red Sox trade Clayton Mortensen to Royals for Quintin Berry
|08.27.13 at 2:51 pm ET|
The Red Sox swung a minor-league trade with the Royals, sending right-handed pitcher Clayton Mortensen to the Royals in exchange for outfielder Quintin Berry.
Mortonsen, 28, has spent the last two seasons in the Red Sox organization, making 50 appearances and compiling a 4.11 ERA with the Sox over 167 1/3 major-league innings. He has also played for the Cardinals, Athletics and Rockies. Most recently he had been pitching for Triple-A Pawtucket, where he began showing improvement in what was otherwise a challenging season.
The 28-year-old Berry has only played one season at the major league level, appearing in 94 games for the Tigers with a .258 batting average, two homers, 29 RBI and 21 stolen bases. He was waived in June and claimed by the Royals, who used him at Triple-A Omaha. In 97 games at Triple-A between Omaha and Toledo (as a member of the Tigers organization), he has 28 stolen bases this season.
For more on the Red Sox, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss