X-rays on Jacoby Ellsbury negative after slamming foul ball off foot
|08.28.13 at 9:41 pm ET|
Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury left Wednesday’s game after the bottom of the seventh inning, shortly after he slammed a foul ball off his right foot. Ellsbury — after being visited by manager John Farrell and a team trainer — initially stayed in the game, and collected an infield hit, stole second (his second steal of the game and 49th of the year) and then sprinted home from second on a two-run single to left that tied the score, 3-3. However, while he proved capable of impacting the game with his legs in that half-inning, Ellsbury was removed prior to the top of the eighth, with Shane Victorino sliding from right field to center, Daniel Nava going from left to right and Jonny Gomes entering the game in left.
Ellsbury retreated to the clubhouse, where he had a fluoroscan that came back negative. With no evidence of a fracture, Ellsbury — who said that the ball hit him in a small gap in his shin guard, between the foot and the base of the ankle — said that he doesn’t plan to miss any time.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas