X-rays on Jacoby Ellsbury negative after slamming foul ball off foot
|08.28.13 at 9:41 pm ET|
Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury left Wednesday’s game after the bottom of the seventh inning, shortly after he slammed a foul ball off his right foot. Ellsbury — after being visited by manager John Farrell and a team trainer — initially stayed in the game, and collected an infield hit, stole second (his second steal of the game and 49th of the year) and then sprinted home from second on a two-run single to left that tied the score, 3-3. However, while he proved capable of impacting the game with his legs in that half-inning, Ellsbury was removed prior to the top of the eighth, with Shane Victorino sliding from right field to center, Daniel Nava going from left to right and Jonny Gomes entering the game in left.
Ellsbury retreated to the clubhouse, where he had a fluoroscan that came back negative. With no evidence of a fracture, Ellsbury — who said that the ball hit him in a small gap in his shin guard, between the foot and the base of the ankle — said that he doesn’t plan to miss any time.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome