X-rays on Jacoby Ellsbury negative after slamming foul ball off foot
|08.28.13 at 9:41 pm ET|
Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury left Wednesday’s game after the bottom of the seventh inning, shortly after he slammed a foul ball off his right foot. Ellsbury — after being visited by manager John Farrell and a team trainer — initially stayed in the game, and collected an infield hit, stole second (his second steal of the game and 49th of the year) and then sprinted home from second on a two-run single to left that tied the score, 3-3. However, while he proved capable of impacting the game with his legs in that half-inning, Ellsbury was removed prior to the top of the eighth, with Shane Victorino sliding from right field to center, Daniel Nava going from left to right and Jonny Gomes entering the game in left.
Ellsbury retreated to the clubhouse, where he had a fluoroscan that came back negative. With no evidence of a fracture, Ellsbury — who said that the ball hit him in a small gap in his shin guard, between the foot and the base of the ankle — said that he doesn’t plan to miss any time.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players