X-rays on Jacoby Ellsbury negative after slamming foul ball off foot
|08.28.13 at 9:41 pm ET|
Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury left Wednesday’s game after the bottom of the seventh inning, shortly after he slammed a foul ball off his right foot. Ellsbury — after being visited by manager John Farrell and a team trainer — initially stayed in the game, and collected an infield hit, stole second (his second steal of the game and 49th of the year) and then sprinted home from second on a two-run single to left that tied the score, 3-3. However, while he proved capable of impacting the game with his legs in that half-inning, Ellsbury was removed prior to the top of the eighth, with Shane Victorino sliding from right field to center, Daniel Nava going from left to right and Jonny Gomes entering the game in left.
Ellsbury retreated to the clubhouse, where he had a fluoroscan that came back negative. With no evidence of a fracture, Ellsbury — who said that the ball hit him in a small gap in his shin guard, between the foot and the base of the ankle — said that he doesn’t plan to miss any time.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot