X-rays on Jacoby Ellsbury negative after slamming foul ball off foot
|08.28.13 at 9:41 pm ET|
Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury left Wednesday’s game after the bottom of the seventh inning, shortly after he slammed a foul ball off his right foot. Ellsbury — after being visited by manager John Farrell and a team trainer — initially stayed in the game, and collected an infield hit, stole second (his second steal of the game and 49th of the year) and then sprinted home from second on a two-run single to left that tied the score, 3-3. However, while he proved capable of impacting the game with his legs in that half-inning, Ellsbury was removed prior to the top of the eighth, with Shane Victorino sliding from right field to center, Daniel Nava going from left to right and Jonny Gomes entering the game in left.
Ellsbury retreated to the clubhouse, where he had a fluoroscan that came back negative. With no evidence of a fracture, Ellsbury — who said that the ball hit him in a small gap in his shin guard, between the foot and the base of the ankle — said that he doesn’t plan to miss any time.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles