Jerry Remy will remain out for remainder of Red Sox season
|08.29.13 at 11:10 pm ET|
Jerry Remy announced Thursday evening that he will remain off of the Red Sox‘ telecasts throughout the rest of the 2013 season to be with his family. Remy has not called a game for the Sox since his son, Jared Remy, was arrested on Aug. 16 and charged with the murder of his girlfriend, Jennifer Martel.
“I am full of grief for the Martel family,” Jerry Remy said in a statement. “My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to them. My wife and I are sick about this senseless tragedy. It’s clear this isn’t the time for me to return to broadcasting Red Sox games. It’s my hope that I can do so in the spring. I thank NESN and the Red Sox for their support through this nightmare.”
For more on the Red Sox, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Margot helps Portland earn split as part of crazy Monday schedule
- Weekly Notes: Top prospects on the move
- Cup of Coffee: Salem, Greenville bullpens fall apart, Pawtucket wins in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Margot homers in Hadlock debut
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon, Miller shine in Salem debuts
- Notes from the Field: Margot's Double-A debut and more
- Cup of Coffee: Portland welcomes new call-ups, Moncada has big night
- Dubon promoted to Salem, Jerez to Portland in series of roster moves
- Devers, Margot named to Futures Game roster
- Report: Marrero, Aro, Bradley up to Boston