Red Sox lineup: After injury scare, Jacoby Ellsbury starting; Mike Carp scratched late
|08.29.13 at 2:59 pm ET|
One day after he hammered a foul ball off his right foot, Jacoby Ellsbury is back in the Red Sox lineup in his customary leadoff spot. Though he exited Wednesday’s game prior to the eighth inning — shortly after his foul ball found a small opening in his shin guard — X-rays were negative, and the 29-year-old said following the contest that he expected to play on Thursday. It appears he will do just that as the Red Sox look to sweep their three-game series against the Orioles.
UPDATE: While Mike Carp had been in the original starting lineup, one day after he drove in the game-winning run with a pinch-hit single in the bottom of the eighth, he was scratched after taking batting practice from his scheduled start at first base. Daniel Nava, originally slated to start in left, instead will be the Sox’ first baseman against Orioles right-hander Chris Tillman, while Jonny Gomes will be the Sox’ left fielder.
RED SOX LINEUP
Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
Shane Victorino, RF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
David Ortiz, DH
Daniel Nava, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
Stephen Drew, SS
Will Middlebrooks, 3B
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot