Red Sox lineup: After injury scare, Jacoby Ellsbury starting; Mike Carp scratched late
|08.29.13 at 2:59 pm ET|
One day after he hammered a foul ball off his right foot, Jacoby Ellsbury is back in the Red Sox lineup in his customary leadoff spot. Though he exited Wednesday’s game prior to the eighth inning — shortly after his foul ball found a small opening in his shin guard — X-rays were negative, and the 29-year-old said following the contest that he expected to play on Thursday. It appears he will do just that as the Red Sox look to sweep their three-game series against the Orioles.
UPDATE: While Mike Carp had been in the original starting lineup, one day after he drove in the game-winning run with a pinch-hit single in the bottom of the eighth, he was scratched after taking batting practice from his scheduled start at first base. Daniel Nava, originally slated to start in left, instead will be the Sox’ first baseman against Orioles right-hander Chris Tillman, while Jonny Gomes will be the Sox’ left fielder.
RED SOX LINEUP
Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
Shane Victorino, RF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
David Ortiz, DH
Daniel Nava, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
Stephen Drew, SS
Will Middlebrooks, 3B
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler