Red Sox lineup: After injury scare, Jacoby Ellsbury starting; Mike Carp scratched late
|08.29.13 at 2:59 pm ET|
One day after he hammered a foul ball off his right foot, Jacoby Ellsbury is back in the Red Sox lineup in his customary leadoff spot. Though he exited Wednesday’s game prior to the eighth inning — shortly after his foul ball found a small opening in his shin guard — X-rays were negative, and the 29-year-old said following the contest that he expected to play on Thursday. It appears he will do just that as the Red Sox look to sweep their three-game series against the Orioles.
UPDATE: While Mike Carp had been in the original starting lineup, one day after he drove in the game-winning run with a pinch-hit single in the bottom of the eighth, he was scratched after taking batting practice from his scheduled start at first base. Daniel Nava, originally slated to start in left, instead will be the Sox’ first baseman against Orioles right-hander Chris Tillman, while Jonny Gomes will be the Sox’ left fielder.
RED SOX LINEUP
Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
Shane Victorino, RF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
David Ortiz, DH
Daniel Nava, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
Stephen Drew, SS
Will Middlebrooks, 3B
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players