Clay Buchholz comes through latest rehab outing in good shape
|08.30.13 at 8:05 pm ET|
In his second rehab outing, Clay Buchholz took a step toward making his return to the major leagues as early as Sept. 10.
Pitching for the Pawtucket Red Sox against the Syracuse Chiefs at McCoy Stadium, Buchholz allowed one run on seven hits with two strikeouts over 3 1/3 innings.
The righty threw 53 pitches, including 23 in a first inning in which he allowed three straight singles to start the game. It was more positive outing than what transpired in his last rehab outing, in which Buchholz lasted just 2/3 innings while pitching for the Lowell Spinners, allowing three runs.
Buchholz is next scheduled to pitch for Pawtucket Sept. 4, although that might be adjusted depending on if the pitcher’s pregnant wife, Lindsay, needs to be induced on that Wednesday (as is the current plan).
If Buchholz is able to make the Sept. 4 start, he would likely start for the Red Sox in the first game of their three-game set against the Rays a week from Tuesday. The starter hasn’t appeared in a big league game since June 8, having compiled a 9-0 mark with a 1.71 ERA before being shut down.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven