Clay Buchholz comes through latest rehab outing in good shape
|08.30.13 at 8:05 pm ET|
In his second rehab outing, Clay Buchholz took a step toward making his return to the major leagues as early as Sept. 10.
Pitching for the Pawtucket Red Sox against the Syracuse Chiefs at McCoy Stadium, Buchholz allowed one run on seven hits with two strikeouts over 3 1/3 innings.
The righty threw 53 pitches, including 23 in a first inning in which he allowed three straight singles to start the game. It was more positive outing than what transpired in his last rehab outing, in which Buchholz lasted just 2/3 innings while pitching for the Lowell Spinners, allowing three runs.
Buchholz is next scheduled to pitch for Pawtucket Sept. 4, although that might be adjusted depending on if the pitcher’s pregnant wife, Lindsay, needs to be induced on that Wednesday (as is the current plan).
If Buchholz is able to make the Sept. 4 start, he would likely start for the Red Sox in the first game of their three-game set against the Rays a week from Tuesday. The starter hasn’t appeared in a big league game since June 8, having compiled a 9-0 mark with a 1.71 ERA before being shut down.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston