Clay Buchholz comes through latest rehab outing in good shape
|08.30.13 at 8:05 pm ET|
In his second rehab outing, Clay Buchholz took a step toward making his return to the major leagues as early as Sept. 10.
Pitching for the Pawtucket Red Sox against the Syracuse Chiefs at McCoy Stadium, Buchholz allowed one run on seven hits with two strikeouts over 3 1/3 innings.
The righty threw 53 pitches, including 23 in a first inning in which he allowed three straight singles to start the game. It was more positive outing than what transpired in his last rehab outing, in which Buchholz lasted just 2/3 innings while pitching for the Lowell Spinners, allowing three runs.
Buchholz is next scheduled to pitch for Pawtucket Sept. 4, although that might be adjusted depending on if the pitcher’s pregnant wife, Lindsay, needs to be induced on that Wednesday (as is the current plan).
If Buchholz is able to make the Sept. 4 start, he would likely start for the Red Sox in the first game of their three-game set against the Rays a week from Tuesday. The starter hasn’t appeared in a big league game since June 8, having compiled a 9-0 mark with a 1.71 ERA before being shut down.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin