Clay Buchholz comes through latest rehab outing in good shape
|08.30.13 at 8:05 pm ET|
In his second rehab outing, Clay Buchholz took a step toward making his return to the major leagues as early as Sept. 10.
Pitching for the Pawtucket Red Sox against the Syracuse Chiefs at McCoy Stadium, Buchholz allowed one run on seven hits with two strikeouts over 3 1/3 innings.
The righty threw 53 pitches, including 23 in a first inning in which he allowed three straight singles to start the game. It was more positive outing than what transpired in his last rehab outing, in which Buchholz lasted just 2/3 innings while pitching for the Lowell Spinners, allowing three runs.
Buchholz is next scheduled to pitch for Pawtucket Sept. 4, although that might be adjusted depending on if the pitcher’s pregnant wife, Lindsay, needs to be induced on that Wednesday (as is the current plan).
If Buchholz is able to make the Sept. 4 start, he would likely start for the Red Sox in the first game of their three-game set against the Rays a week from Tuesday. The starter hasn’t appeared in a big league game since June 8, having compiled a 9-0 mark with a 1.71 ERA before being shut down.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Sam Travis out for season with torn ACL
- Cup of Coffee: Gunsolus, Ray power Greenville to win
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi, Devers record multi-hit games
- Cup of Coffee: Almonte throws six no-hit innings
- Cup of Coffee: Owens, others struggle on mound
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza dominates in mid-week matinee
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem