Clay Buchholz comes through latest rehab outing in good shape
|08.30.13 at 8:05 pm ET|
In his second rehab outing, Clay Buchholz took a step toward making his return to the major leagues as early as Sept. 10.
Pitching for the Pawtucket Red Sox against the Syracuse Chiefs at McCoy Stadium, Buchholz allowed one run on seven hits with two strikeouts over 3 1/3 innings.
The righty threw 53 pitches, including 23 in a first inning in which he allowed three straight singles to start the game. It was more positive outing than what transpired in his last rehab outing, in which Buchholz lasted just 2/3 innings while pitching for the Lowell Spinners, allowing three runs.
Buchholz is next scheduled to pitch for Pawtucket Sept. 4, although that might be adjusted depending on if the pitcher’s pregnant wife, Lindsay, needs to be induced on that Wednesday (as is the current plan).
If Buchholz is able to make the Sept. 4 start, he would likely start for the Red Sox in the first game of their three-game set against the Rays a week from Tuesday. The starter hasn’t appeared in a big league game since June 8, having compiled a 9-0 mark with a 1.71 ERA before being shut down.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes