Red Sox acquire infielder John McDonald from Phillies
|08.31.13 at 8:24 pm ET|
The 38-year-old McDonald is now in his 15th season in the majors. He has appeared in 45 games for three different teams (Pirates, Indians, Phillies) in 2013, hitting a meager .098/.179/.164. While McDonald won’t provide much in the way of offense, the former Providence College Friar can provide depth at second, short and third.
“He’s a premium defender, at all three positions,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell, who has worked with McDonald in Cleveland and Toronto. “He’ll serve as depth, particularly in the middle of the infield. … We’ve been looking out for this type of player. We know him obviously. He’ll fit in very well with this team.”
Farrell said the expectation is that McDonald will join the team on Sunday.
Ogando has spent the last three seasons in Single-A, with all of his 2013 season to date coming at High-A Salem. He has appeared in 33 games, posting a 2-3 record, 4.09 ERA and 1.38 WHIP.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller