Red Sox acquire infielder John McDonald from Phillies
|08.31.13 at 8:24 pm ET|
The 38-year-old McDonald is now in his 15th season in the majors. He has appeared in 45 games for three different teams (Pirates, Indians, Phillies) in 2013, hitting a meager .098/.179/.164. While McDonald won’t provide much in the way of offense, the former Providence College Friar can provide depth at second, short and third.
“He’s a premium defender, at all three positions,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell, who has worked with McDonald in Cleveland and Toronto. “He’ll serve as depth, particularly in the middle of the infield. … We’ve been looking out for this type of player. We know him obviously. He’ll fit in very well with this team.”
Farrell said the expectation is that McDonald will join the team on Sunday.
Ogando has spent the last three seasons in Single-A, with all of his 2013 season to date coming at High-A Salem. He has appeared in 33 games, posting a 2-3 record, 4.09 ERA and 1.38 WHIP.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?