Source: Red Sox still ‘kicking stuff around’ but not close to waiver trade deadline deal
|08.31.13 at 1:53 am ET|
There doesn’t figure to be any August blockbuster this time around.
According to a major league source, the Red Sox weren’t anticipating any deals prior to the waiver trade deadline (11:59 p.m. Saturday). As of Saturday morning, the team was still ‘kicking stuff around’ but wasn’t close on making any moves.
According to the source, one of the obstacles the Red Sox faced throughout August was the lack of players that actually cleared through to the point of getting to the Sox in the waiver order. The American League East leaders own the best record in the American League, meaning they would reside last in the waiver wire order for any National League player, and 15th for any AL player put on waivers.
The Red Sox are believed to be keeping an eye out for relief help, although they showed no interest in former Milwaukee closer John Axford, who was dealt to St. Louis Friday.
One target for the Red Sox leading up to the non-waiver trade deadline at the conclusion of July, Michael Young, was not of interest to the Sox despite clearing waivers. The Red Sox, who decided late last month to explore internal candidates rather than pursue Young, feel satisfied with their corner infield options heading into the regular season’s final month.
The Red Sox has managed to execute meaningful deals prior to the waiver trade deadline during some of their recent playoff runs, dealing for Billy Wagner and Alex Gonzalez in 2009, Paul Byrd and Mark Kotsay in ‘08, and Mike Myers in ‘04.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo