Source: Red Sox still ‘kicking stuff around’ but not close to waiver trade deadline deal
|08.31.13 at 1:53 am ET|
There doesn’t figure to be any August blockbuster this time around.
According to a major league source, the Red Sox weren’t anticipating any deals prior to the waiver trade deadline (11:59 p.m. Saturday). As of Saturday morning, the team was still ‘kicking stuff around’ but wasn’t close on making any moves.
According to the source, one of the obstacles the Red Sox faced throughout August was the lack of players that actually cleared through to the point of getting to the Sox in the waiver order. The American League East leaders own the best record in the American League, meaning they would reside last in the waiver wire order for any National League player, and 15th for any AL player put on waivers.
The Red Sox are believed to be keeping an eye out for relief help, although they showed no interest in former Milwaukee closer John Axford, who was dealt to St. Louis Friday.
One target for the Red Sox leading up to the non-waiver trade deadline at the conclusion of July, Michael Young, was not of interest to the Sox despite clearing waivers. The Red Sox, who decided late last month to explore internal candidates rather than pursue Young, feel satisfied with their corner infield options heading into the regular season’s final month.
The Red Sox has managed to execute meaningful deals prior to the waiver trade deadline during some of their recent playoff runs, dealing for Billy Wagner and Alex Gonzalez in 2009, Paul Byrd and Mark Kotsay in ‘08, and Mike Myers in ‘04.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Dubon taking journey from Honduras to the majors one stop at a time
- The Write-Up: Clay Buchholz
- Fort Report: Cuts, injuries and positional battles
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 1: Catchers
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system