Quintin Berry on pinch-running role with Red Sox: ‘I’m excited to do it’
|09.01.13 at 12:57 pm ET|
Quintin Berry knows he’s in Boston for one reason: to be a pinch-runner. It’s not the most glamorous role, but Berry said he’s embracing it.
“I’m excited to do it,” Berry said. “I’ll do it my whole career if this is what they want, especially in Boston with a club like this. The opportunity to be here with a winning ball club in a great city, I’ll come off the bench and run any time they need it.”
The 28-year-old Berry had 291 at bats for the Tigers in 2012, but served mostly as a pinch-runner toward the end of the season. Berry couldn’t crack the Tigers’ opening-day roster this season, and was eventually picked up by the Royals after being designated for assignment. He was traded to Boston earlier this week in exchange for pitcher Clayton Mortensen.
Berry has hit just .191/.309/.257 in 100 Triple-A games this season, but he’s been successful on 30 of his 34 steal attempts. He went 21-for-21 in the majors last season and 42-for-49 in the minors in 2011.
“I’ve learned a lot when it comes to base-stealing,” Berry said. “I’m not just out there running like I was when I was younger. I have an idea of what pitchers are trying to do, what their coach is trying to do, and what I’m capable of doing.”
“I’m very familiar,” Berry said. “That’s a high pedestal, man, but I’m ready to try to beat it. Whatever I can do to help.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title