Quintin Berry on pinch-running role with Red Sox: ‘I’m excited to do it’
|09.01.13 at 12:57 pm ET|
Quintin Berry knows he’s in Boston for one reason: to be a pinch-runner. It’s not the most glamorous role, but Berry said he’s embracing it.
“I’m excited to do it,” Berry said. “I’ll do it my whole career if this is what they want, especially in Boston with a club like this. The opportunity to be here with a winning ball club in a great city, I’ll come off the bench and run any time they need it.”
The 28-year-old Berry had 291 at bats for the Tigers in 2012, but served mostly as a pinch-runner toward the end of the season. Berry couldn’t crack the Tigers’ opening-day roster this season, and was eventually picked up by the Royals after being designated for assignment. He was traded to Boston earlier this week in exchange for pitcher Clayton Mortensen.
Berry has hit just .191/.309/.257 in 100 Triple-A games this season, but he’s been successful on 30 of his 34 steal attempts. He went 21-for-21 in the majors last season and 42-for-49 in the minors in 2011.
“I’ve learned a lot when it comes to base-stealing,” Berry said. “I’m not just out there running like I was when I was younger. I have an idea of what pitchers are trying to do, what their coach is trying to do, and what I’m capable of doing.”
“I’m very familiar,” Berry said. “That’s a high pedestal, man, but I’m ready to try to beat it. Whatever I can do to help.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday