Quintin Berry on pinch-running role with Red Sox: ‘I’m excited to do it’
|09.01.13 at 12:57 pm ET|
Quintin Berry knows he’s in Boston for one reason: to be a pinch-runner. It’s not the most glamorous role, but Berry said he’s embracing it.
“I’m excited to do it,” Berry said. “I’ll do it my whole career if this is what they want, especially in Boston with a club like this. The opportunity to be here with a winning ball club in a great city, I’ll come off the bench and run any time they need it.”
The 28-year-old Berry had 291 at bats for the Tigers in 2012, but served mostly as a pinch-runner toward the end of the season. Berry couldn’t crack the Tigers’ opening-day roster this season, and was eventually picked up by the Royals after being designated for assignment. He was traded to Boston earlier this week in exchange for pitcher Clayton Mortensen.
Berry has hit just .191/.309/.257 in 100 Triple-A games this season, but he’s been successful on 30 of his 34 steal attempts. He went 21-for-21 in the majors last season and 42-for-49 in the minors in 2011.
“I’ve learned a lot when it comes to base-stealing,” Berry said. “I’m not just out there running like I was when I was younger. I have an idea of what pitchers are trying to do, what their coach is trying to do, and what I’m capable of doing.”
“I’m very familiar,” Berry said. “That’s a high pedestal, man, but I’m ready to try to beat it. Whatever I can do to help.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Miller homer lifts Portland following Rodriguez gem
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve